Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Cruise

So, I figured I should blog about my last vacation (Caribbean cruise) before I take my next one (Thanksgiving in the OBX).

It was fabulous. It was my fifth cruise, but the first time I had a room with a balcony which was SO nice. Some highlights: sleeping in, naps, lots of reading time, specialty drinks, and towels folded to resemble animals. I read the books Botany of Desire and Peace Like a River (I recommend them both).
As always, the food was fabulous (and plentiful). One night we were even surprised with a Happy Anniversary cake by the wait staff.
We had a lot of fun (though sometimes Andrew didn't want to capture all that fun on film).
We chose the Holland America line because I insisted on fresh water pools (some cruise ships have salty swimming pools). However, we never ended up in the main pools because we bought a pass to the Thermo Pool & Hydro Suite. Loved it. Especially the Hydro Suite which consisted of heated chairs and a wall of windows.We enjoyed all our ports of call:

The first one was the cruise line's private beach: Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.We had another beach day at Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos.
At Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands we went snorkeling at Stingray City, something I have wanted to do since my parents went about 15 years ago. We were surprised by how big the rays were. Sometimes they almost knocked us over trying to get to the food and one accidentally sucked on my back. It was brief, but long enough to leave an ugly hicky. Oh, and it hurt. A lot. We each picked a shore excursion. I picked the stingrays. Drew picked the Kohunlich Mayan ruins in (near) Costa Maya, Mexico. It was sweltering but we still enjoyed the trip and thought the ruins were pretty impressive.

13 comments:

Julie Broadbent said...

You're making me want to go another cruise! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Congrats on ten years!

Sarah said...

I've been waiting for a report on the cruise! Looks awesome...and so relaxing! So glad you guys got to do that.

Ryann said...

looked like fun! I am booking a Greek islands cruise for us today!!! You'll have to give us cruising tips as it's our first one!

Jessica said...

What an AWESOME cruise! I would have DIED if a ray had sucked my back. You are super brave. I can't imagine having time to read and linger at dinner and have alone time with my hubs...what a great time for you two.

Wendi said...

Finally we hear about the cruise!! Love the pics. The beaches are so gorgeous...oh, maybe someday. Can't believe you have been on 5 cruises and I have yet to go on 1!!! But you and Andrew were truly deserving of that time together!!!

Codi said...

So fun, so pretty, so much sun! I am wishing for all of that right now! I am glad that you guys had so much fun!

M & J Bowerbank said...

Sounds like it was a ton of fun! I totally want to go on a cruise now. Maybe I will! Jill so happy for you and Drew, 10 years. Miss you guys.

Carrie said...

Jill,
I'm so jealous. Wayne never wants to do a cruise. Its so great you do fun vacations with Andrew. I'm sure it was nice for you to have a break as well.

rachael said...

OMG, you look like you had so much fun!!!! And you LOOK GREAT!!!

I would love for Shawn and I to take a vacation without the kids. How relaxing!

Ali Snow said...

So much fun. It's sounds like you had a great time. And I love how no matter what cruise line you go on, the towels are made into animals.

Ali Snow said...

Oh, and I hate salt water pools too. I've NEVER swam in a cruise pool.

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous! That looked like an incredible cruise! I'm glad you two got some alone time....always fantastic.

V said...

this is such an amazing post of an unbelievably amazing trip. I agree with Jessica. The second I felt that suction and realized what it was I would've had a heart attack right on the spot. :) But you'll have that great story to tell evermore. I'm excited to show Dustinn and convince him we should go on a cruise!

Contributors