Sunday, January 13, 2013

Temple & Zoo Lights

We were kind of lazy about our holiday activities this year.  We never made it to the National tree or the train display at the Botanical Gardens (holiday staple until this time around).  Drew didn't mind too much, but I felt a little guilty.  We finally made it to the up to the DC Temple Visitors Center for the holiday display the Sunday after Christmas.  We saw it all: lights, nativity displays, musical performance.  Andrew and I weren't too fond of the performance (Drew leaned over during it and said, "We really need to be more selective next year"), but the kids loved it.  Well, not Ellie.  Mid-way through she started saying "get me out of here!" (loudly).  So I did.
Our New Years Eve was pretty lame.  We got take out and watched DVD of Bill Cosby's stand up routine.  Liz was the only one that stayed awake for the whole showed.  She woke us when it was over, about 11 and we all went to bed.  New Years Day was more fun.  Drew let me sleep in and I woke to him making this homemade apple pie just for me:
 In the evening I took Liz and Lainey to see the National Zoo Lights .  It was the last night so it was crazy!  I got lost in DC, made a wrong turn down a long narrow alley (my GPS's fault, I swear), and almost started to cry when I realized that I had to back out.  We were stuck at one light for over five minutes, watching every other direction but mine get multiple green lights, when I finally gave up waiting and just made an illegal left.  Liz was scared.  She said, "Mom, please don't break any more laws."  But we made it and it was worth it.  The girls had a lot of fun which meant I had fun seeing them so happy.

Below: Lego replica of the Smithsonian Castle (I believe it contained over 45,000 pieces--Liz was impressed) and live Sno Globe.
 We took the train ride and it was a total bust.  Luckily while I waited in line Liz was able to take Lainey to the nearby carousel.  I'm not sure how she managed to get Lainey onto her animal, but she did.  They never saw me in line, but I could see them and I thought it was so sweet to see them reach out and hold hands while they went around and around.

We also tried the snow tubing and it was the girl's favorite.  It was another long line so I sent Liz into a nearby fast food restaurant to get us some dinner.  It's so nice that she's old enough to help me like this.  Lainey initially said that she didn't want to go on the tubes, but I hauled her to the top anyway and she didn't object when they guy shoved her over the edge.  I worried that she would be crying at the bottom of the hill, but thank goodness she was laughing.

No comments:

Contributors