Monday, January 9, 2012

Lincoln's cottage and soldier's home

Last week we visited President Lincoln's Cottage at the Soldier's Home (cause I had a Groupon that was about to expire).  It was interesting and I think that even Andrew, who didn't want to go in the first place, enjoyed himself.  I learned a lot.  For example, I learned that the Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in states in open rebellion meaning that four states remained where slavery was legal (two outlawed it themselves later, and it officially became illegal in the remaining two and any future states through a constitutional amendment).  

There wasn't much to keep Lainey and Elli entertained, but they did alright.  Alaina enjoyed comparing the pictures of President Lincoln to his image on the penny.  Ellie just tried to run away every chance she got.  I swear she's harder to manage than her sisters were (or maybe I'm just older and more tired in general)./

Alaina was convinced that Lincoln's gloves where actually a map and she wanted it.



No comments:

Contributors