Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mommy Daughter Date

Last night I finally gave Lizzie her Christmas gift from Nana & Papa.  They sent me money to buy something for her and I decided to take her on a shopping spree at the American Girl store in Tysons.  It just took me six months to get around to it.  We went with Lizzie's friend, Taryn (who I believe was also using Christmas money).  
 
Lizzie brought both her dolls, named Laura and Mary after the Little House on the Prairie series.
 Throughout the meal we saw several birthday celebrations at nearby tables.  One girl was turning twelve and I thought it was wonderful that she was still young and innocent enough to want to celebrate at the doll store.  I want that for Lizzie.
 While the girls waited for their food they read each other questions/conversation starters from a little box on the table (for sale in their shop of course).
 Notice the doll's cups.  Lizzie was so enamoured with them that she purchased a set for herself (and orchestrated a tea party for her dolls and Lainey's this morning, serving them bits of her eggs and waffles from breakfast).  After we ate Liz and Taryn browsed while the moms sat and visited on a nearby bench.  I tried to shop with Liz, but after politely saying okay to all my suggestions she said, "um, can you stop following me around now?"
What Liz really wanted to buy was a bed for her dolls was a bed, but with a $200 plus price tag she certainly didn't have enough money (I kept pointing out that the doll beds cost more than her actual bed).  She also admired the piano ($150) and tent ($75) before settling for a couple items in her price range.  Along with her tea cups and saucer set she got a guitar.  Then on the way home she asked how much it would cost to buy two of her favorite doll beds ($220 each) with tax and if I could help her save up the money.  Yeah, sure.

Before we left the mall we also turned in Lizzie's certificate for the Pottery Barn Kids summer reading program and collected her free book.  Totally worth it.  It was a very nice Mother-Daughter date.  Now I just need to plan something with the little ones. 

No comments:

Contributors