Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weeks 5 & 6

Week 5 (beginning July 16th) - This week we: spent a couple days at Great Waves Waterpark (fun, but I managed to destroy my point-and-shoot camera when a water bottle emptied onto it in my bag so our pictures are a bit limited); saw the movie Tin Tin in the theater (Liz liked it in the end, but it was pretty scary for all three girls so sorry for the trauma ladies); turned in the little girls reading logs (and started using the coupons immediately); started toilet training Lainey (it was against her will, but I'm horrified to think that she could still be in diapers when she reaches her fourth birthday so I said tough luck kiddo--so far we've had mixed results); Lainey attended a pirate birthday party (and loved it); Liz and I attended a "Youth Celebration" performance put on by our stake and six others (I was impressed by the Herculean effort it must have been to choreograph, instruct, and coordinate things for the 1,300+ youth that were involved); attended a couple library performances (by Mad Science & Uno, Dos, Tres con Andres and really enjoyed both).
Below is a look at what often happens when Ellie puts on her own shoes.  Right now she's going through a unique clothing phase.  She often wants to wear her butterfly pajamas all day (but she has two sets and she wears one piece from each so she looks a funky).  Tonight she is wearing her swimsuit to bed because I didn't think it was worth the fight to stop her.
Week 6 - Our recap: Liz spent most of the week at Burke Lake Camp (a Girl Scout day camp that she seemed to enjoy), we spent a pleasant afternoon/evening at Pirates Cove water park (Thursday of course because it's family fun night and dinner is included in the price of admission); Liz went ice skating (the little girls were ridiculously excited about watching her); the little girls and I attended Drew's farewell lunch at work (he's just moving to a new project, not a new company, but he'll miss working with/for his old client); and we celebrated pioneer day (by making butter as usual)We also made replica wagons out of candy and graham crackers while I told the kids about the Willy and Martin handcart companies (Drew has an ancestor that was in the troubled companies and I had one that helped save them).
We celebrated some family birthdays, one of which was my brother Mike's thirtieth.  We sent him a lollipop bouquet with the note, "30 Sucks!" (saw it on pinterest).  Liz didn't get it which somehow made it funnier for me.
Along with the fun stuff this week I began my first round of meetings for some upcoming projects.  Tuesday morning I met with a friend to plan a baby shower (lots of work, but lots of fun).  Then, in the evening, I met with the new PTA board (I'm the second VP and after the meeting I feel very overwhelmed).  Wednesday morning I met with my Girl Scout co-leader (we're both newbies and we have no idea what we're doing--I guess we should have read the manual before meeting).  Finally, Thursday morning I met with another Activity Day leader to plan our day camp (that was the only meeting wherein we were able to complete everything we needed to in one sitting--hooray!).

The week ended with some unpleasantness.  Friday morning Liz said that her side hurt and we worried that it might be her appendix.  Her regular doctor's office was closed so I took her to the local stand-alone E.R.  Turns out she had a kidney infection.  Before we could leave Liz had to have a heavy dose of medication via I.V.  She completely freaked out--jumped out of her bed, cried, and begged for another option.  Finally the nurse and I coaxed her back into bed and she was to have the procedure without being restrained (but there were two other nurses lingering in the room just in case).  Lainey and Ellie were generally well-behaved during our almost three hour stay in the E.R.  They really enjoyed sitting in bed with Liz.  They also enjoyed it when the nurse handed out popsicles and turned on the t.v. (and I'm sure the people in the neighboring curtained-off rooms appreciated the decrease in noise).

No comments:

Contributors