Sunday, August 5, 2012

WEEK 7

Week 7 was fun, but I'm starting to feel a little sad that summer is winding down.  It goes so fast!

We were busy.  Alaina started a four-week gymnastics course, we watched the Maney kids while their parents were galavanting around NYC, and my older two girls enjoyed an afternoon of camp at My Gym.
Alaina really improved in toilet training this week (she says, "I'm in training"--love it!).  On Tuesday she peed in her pants five times and pooped once, not counting the many times she went on the toilet when I put her on it.  She didn't ask to use the potty, let alone tell me when she had an accident.  Then, first thing Wednesday morning she got on the toilet all by herself (and marched in to our room naked, carrying her jammies, announcing to Drew that she needed panties).  That was pretty much the turning point and she's done fabulous since then (but I'll always have that lovely memory of her peeing on the floor at the post office).
We visited Green Spring Gardens with some friends.  The park itself was quite nice, but we went on a horribly hot day.  I think it's more of a spring and fall venue (like almost all other outdoor spaces are to me).
We went to a couple water parks: Atlantis and Pirates Cove.  It was only my second time at Atlantis and it probably only be a yearly visit for me--if that.  They are so strict!  No toys, even in the baby pool and the little ones have to wear life jackets if they can't touch the bottom of the pool.  I really don't like that I can't hold my baby when I'm standing in the deep end unless she's wearing a bulky, uncomfortable (for both of us) life jacket.  That said, the kids really like the water features and it wasn't as crowded as Pirates Cove and Great Waves.  Speaking of, we also enjoyed our visit to Pirates Cove--what's not to love about free dinner?--but the kids are starting to tire of it.  Too bad for them that we still have three more visits left to use up all our groupons/certifikids/living social vouchers. 
We attended several library programs this week.  First, was a puppet show for the little girls (afterwards Liz said it was "so, so long," but I saw her smiling during the show). Next we learned a seated hula (check at Alaina's impressive skills below).  Finally, Liz went to a live reptile show (and her sisters cried because they weren't old enough to participate). 
On Saturday I took the kids to the Corcoran.  I just had to take advantage of the free summer Saturdays (though I'm not even sure what the admission price usually is).  I enjoyed viewing the art and the girls enjoyed making their own masterpieces while there.  Also on Saturday, Liz and I took advantage of the tax-free weekend to do some school shopping.  The outlet mall was crazy crowded, but we had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Contributors