Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nordic Cool

I managed to get the girls to the Nordic Cool exhibit at the Kennedy Center before it closed last weekend.  We really enjoyed it.  Below is a installation of undulating plywood and a ship made from shirts.
Not sure what's up with Lainey's pose there.  She asked me to take her picture and then arranged her hands.
The girls liked the exhibits, especially the log maze.  Liz thought the waterfall room was pretty cool.  When she pulled out the pictures of each waterfall we heard what each one sounded like.  The little girls did not like it though and were actually a little scared by the sounds (see shot of Lainey below).

In almost all of the exhibit, Lainey wanted to know what everything was made of (and I mean EVERYTHING).  Ellie wanted to touch everything.  I was able to keep her from all of it, but the a pile of rocks with a sculpture in the center.  Ellie reached to touch the rocks and told her, no.  Don't touch those.  So she kicked them.  I said no again and she kicked them again.  I glanced around to see if there was a security guard nearby.  There was and he was laughing.
 For the girls, the highlight of the whole thing was the lego section.  We spent about two and half hours there (we were only able to last that long because we ran into some friends and had grown-ups to talk to).
 After some parallel play, the girls made a rainbow tower.  I loved seeing them work together.
I'd been there an hour before I realized that the nearby murals were made entirely of one-knub legos.  Pretty impressive.
After the rainbow tower, the girls did their own thing.  Lainey made lots of creations (such a mommy airplane and a bunch of baby airplanes) with the assistance of several of the young volunteers (high school students, I think). 


No comments:

Contributors