Friday, May 23, 2014

April Recap

April was busy as usual.  We celebrated Easter, my birthday, and our 15th year anniversary.  We also had Spring Break and the kiddos hit some milestones.

Emma turned nine months old.  She's 18 lbs, 5.8 oz (52%).  She learned to crawl up stairs.  We discovered this while visiting Drew's brother in Williamsburg (for his 50th birthday).  Em has become pretty clingy with me.  I suppose stranger anxiety has kicked now, but she also wants to be in my arms all the time while we've at home.
Emma crawled through the grass much like a cat would walk over something that it did not want to touch.  She lifted her hands and legs up really high and then placed them gingerly. 
For my birthday Drew took me to dinner at Mike's American Grill, and bought me a gym pass (he also got himself one and promised to attend a yoga class with me).  For our anniversary I made a replica (kind of) of one of the tiers of our wedding cake.  It was my first time making a cake from scratch and it was so delicious that I plan to primarily make cakes from scratch from now on.  It was also my first time making chocolate curls which were easier, yet somehow more time consuming than I thought they would be so I didn't have time to buy flowers for a cake topper.
Ellie pooped at school several times so I continued to fear that she would be kicked out of school.  Luckily her teachers where very patient and understanding.  Also, Ellie figured out how to ride her bike on her own.  It was pretty exciting.
We attempted to see the cherry blossoms in the tidal basin.  It didn't work out as we had hoped.  First of all, we had to park and walk quite a distance.  Second, within about five minutes of arriving Lainey managed to lose her flip flop into the basin.  Liz tried to get it for a bit, then Drew actually got it.  We walked for about five minutes more and it started to rain.  Ah, well.  Better luck next year.
 
I planned the ward playgroups for the month so we were pretty good about actually showing up (as opposed to intending to).  The girls particularly enjoyed our visit to Hidden Pond. 
Drew shaved his beard into a fu manchu moustache and low, thick sideburns, which he kept it for a weekend before going to a more clean shaved look.
I helped with the Easter party at Ellie's preschool class and watched the little girls Easter parade.  It was fun, but Ellie decided that she wanted to look at a book instead of participate in the games we planned.  We didn't let her and, true to form, she couldn't let it go.  Lainey was smiling and prancing in the parade (and curtsied in the class photo), Ellie was frowning and stomping.
The little girls and I visited the lovely magnolia trees behind the Smithsonian, then went into the Freer to see Whistler's Peacock Room
Emma's loves: Cheerios, baby dolls, plastic bottles, wrapping paper, tickles, peek-a-boo, and of course, Ellie's stuffed kangaroo (much to Ellie's annoyance).
One hot day when I picked up the little girls from preschool, Lainey said, "My face is really sweaty."
Ellie responded, "Not my face.  My face is as pretty as an angel." 
More Emmaline:
 Lizzie playing Nana's piano at a similar age:
 
Lainey imitating Ellie's silly facial expressions:

No comments:

Contributors