Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hospitalization

Last Tuesday afternoon I took Alaina to the doctor to humor Andrew. I didn't think she seemed very sick so I was a little surprised when the pediatrician found double ear infections and crackling in her lungs. Laines had a nebulizer treatment, a dose of steroids, and then another nebulizer treatment, but still her blood oxygen level was too low (in the 80's instead of the 90's) so . . . . The pediatrician sent us downstairs to the E.R. where Alaina was traumatized by a chest x-ray and painful antibiotic shot (so painful that they already had lidocane built into it). She also had another nebulizer treatment, another dose of steroids, and then, because her oxygen levels were still too low, she had a "continuous" nebulizer treatment while we waited for the ambulance pick us up and take us to the hospital. Incidentally, I was just as surprised to be admitted to the hospital and taken by ambulance as I was when we were sent to the E.R. in the first place.
Laina did not like being strapped down to the gurney, but once secured she calmed down and even seemed to find the ambulance ride interesting. It was my second time in the back of an ambulance and both times have been light and siren-free.I assumed we would only be in the hospital for one night. We were there two nights. The doctors and nurses kept asking me when the symptoms started and I had to keep telling them that I didn't really know. Alaina hadn't seemed that sick to me. She'd had low-grade fevers, a runny nose, and a cough off on and for two months because it's winter and she's teething. Plus she'd been acting like her normal self. It's hard to pinpoint when symptoms you hadn't really noticed got worse. It's also hard to know if the treatments seem to be alleviating said symptoms if you hadn't been tracking them until hospitalization.
To keep Alaina entertained in the hospital we had to be resourceful. Among other things, she pulled tissues out of their boxes, played with her hospital-issued toiletries, and put towels on her head. The hospital also gave her a picture book and a teddy bear, both of which she enjoyed.
We were very happy to avoid an IV in the hospital, but Alaina still had some unpleasant experiences. She had her nose vacuum-suctioned frequently (traumatizing for all of us), regular medication, and lots of nebulizer treatments. The suctioning was the worse, especially when we had to wake her up at night. She was so upset that she vomited after the first suctioning and got a bloody nose after the very last one.
One of the respiratory therapists gave Laines a little face mask so she could give her teddy bear nebulizer treatments too. She also enjoyed putting the face mask on mommy and daddy. The circular bandage on her cheek was to hold her nose tubes in place.
Sometimes Alaina got to the point that she freaked out whenever anyone approached.We were very grateful to take her home this evening. Thanks to everyone that offered help and prayers and who watched Liz for us.

11 comments:

Lea said...

I am so sorry that you guys had to go through all that. I hope that her recovery is quick!

Welcome said...

oh, my heart!! my forehead is all wrinkly and i have a downward smile. dear little one. I'm glad she and you are home. nobody deserves bloody noses nor doctor anxiety. especially alaina.

Ward Family said...

Oh Jill! I am so sorry! I am a little paranoid now because Ezra has been "sick" since before Halloween. We can't seem to get him well. We have, however, been to the doc several times and have just come away with ear infections so far. I sure hope Alaina sleeps well, and can relax and feel better, now that she's at home! (You too!)

Ryann said...

How horrible! Especially to go in and then be rushed to ER and hospital like that! Glad to know that she is home and getting better:)

Wendi said...

I am so happy she is home!! That was the first thing Jordan asked me this morning. Glad she's home.

M & J Bowerbank said...

Yikes. I am so sorry that she had to be hospitalized. Glad your home now, and that she is doing better.

Julie Broadbent said...

Poor little Lainey. I've been worried about her all week. I'm so glad she is home now. Good luck. I hope she continues to improve quickly.

Codi said...

So happy to hear that she is home and doing better. We love little Lainey and pray for her.

Jones said...

Now I think I have to take Eamon in...he's had a runny nose and a fever off and on...I keep thinking it's teething, but maybe it's not. Glad that everything turned out okay in the end!

Carrie said...

Jill, I didn't realize Alaina was in the hospital until I was at Dan and Jenn's house on Friday. I'm so glad she was treated and is doing better.

Sarah said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is never fun to have your baby poked and prodded...especially by other people than their parents.

Contributors