Sunday, May 8, 2011

Catching Up: Girls Getaway!

Last weekend I went to NYC with some girlfriends. So fun! We went to the temple, saw a few plays (Billy Elliot, Wonderland, and Catch me if you can), and ate at some tasty places. My favs were Popover Cafe and Magnolia Bakery for a couple lemon and carmel cupcakes (fav flavs). We also walked across the Brooklyn bridge, something I've wanted to do for awhile. Andrew and I tried it once before, but had to turn back part way across when my prego friend suddenly needed the bathroom. We did have a few adventures: I made it to the bolt bus with literally only a minute to spare, when we checked into our hotel the front desk sent us to a room that was already occupied (luckily just with bags at the time), and on our final day there one of my friends had to spend some time in the ER. Andrew had some tricky times as well. I was away three nights and Ellie wasn't weened. She also wasn't super excited about formula or bottles. Luckily she was willing to take regular milk in a sippy. He also got to take Liz to a multiple hour photo shoot on Saturday. Liz was excited about having her picture taken but when she got there she absolutely refused to smile. Speaking of girls getaways, I had a solo one-nighter way back in March at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in DC. Drew had won a one-night stay (they drew his business card out of the bowl months after he stopped eating in the cafeteria due to a job change). The free night gift card was about the expire and we didn't feel like we could ask any friends to watch our girls over night since Ellie still got up a lot and wouldn't take a bottle. Andrew said, too bad it'll go to waste. I said, how about I go on my own (Drew agreed).

First off, let me say that the Mandarin Oriental is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in and was totally unprepared for that (shlepy clothes, no cash, flip flops). It had a major spa feel to it. While I was checking in a women brought me a tray with a cup of tea and a warm wash cloth, and there were fragant cut flowers set everywhere. The hotel only had valet parking at $50 a night (yikes), they upgraded my completely free room to a suite with a river view (two bathrooms, three t.v.'s, and a balcony all to myself), everyone wanted to assist me but I had no cash for tips so I tried to refuse all help. Still, the front desk clerk walked me to my elevator, and as I was drawing my bath I was interupted by a maid who came to turn down my bed and another hotel employee who was dropping off a plate of fruit.I spent the evening and the next morning swimming in the spa's pool, steaming myself in the fancy sauna (think Turkish bath), and soaking in hot tub (all of which I pretty much had to myself). I planned to get a massage but was intimidated by the price (double what it would be anywhere else). I also skipped the room service breakfast when I looked at the menu and saw that just a side of bacon was about $5. It was very relaxing, but when I left reality returned quickly. I got back home just in time to eat a lunch of macaroni and cheese with Drew and girls and help with the pre-church chaos. While we were eating and talking I noticed that Alaina was quietly and consistly filling the pockets of her church dress with cheesey noodles, then attempting to eat the noodles straight out her pockets using her fork. Welcome home.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

New York without me? Ugh! Next time!

Contributors