Friday, May 27, 2011

Gabrielle's First Birthday

Our little baby turned one on Thursday. So far our celebrations have been fairly minor. Thursday morning I helped Liz make cupcakes to pass out to her classmates at school (in honor of Ellie's first birthday of course). Liz had been talking about doing this all week and I kept telling her that I didn't think it was allowed. She kept bugging me about it so finally I just said, "ask your teacher." I thought the teacher would tell Liz no for me, but she said yes (which I suppose is why I should have been a parent and been firm about the answer in the first place--that said, she also made cupcakes for the neighbors tonight). After we dropped off Liz it was off to the doctor for Ellie's checkup. She's healthy. She survived two immunizations and an anemia test.Alaina kept her entertained while we waited for the doc.Gabby's stats: 21 lbs (53%), height (40%). So far she's our biggest one-year-old. Her sisters, Lizzie and Lainey, were 19.5 and 18 lbs respectively.She's still toothless (both her sisters broke their first teeth at 11 months). She isn't walking, but is crawling, standing, and cruising (Liz walked at roughly 12 mo and Laines walked at 13 mo).She copies us--tries to brush her own hair and teeth, tries to put on her own sunglasses, and whatnot. She likes to hand us things and take them back, play peek-a-boo, pretend to hand us something and snatch it back at the last second. Today Andrew tried to teach her to give five. He showed her how to slap his hand, but instead she slapped his face.When she takes a bath alone she likes to slide around the tub, pushing herself on her tummy or standing up and then sitting down quickly so that she slides backwards. She also likes to drink the tub water. Yuck.She still squirms all over the place when we change her diaper, but quiets down when we play this-little-piggie or pretend to eat her tummy. She waves bye-bye and blows zurberts on us (usually our arms). I've noticed her hitting and head-butting (usually her sisters) in anger.After the doctor's office we joined Elizabeth at school for lunch and mini cupcakes. Lainey loves going to lunch with her "sissy."Afterwards she lined up with Liz and her classmates and tried to return to go out to recess with them. I made her leave with me and the whole drive home she cried "I need my Lizzie!"After school (but before hip hop class and soccer practice) the girls and I raced to Costco to purchase Ellie's birthday gift from the family. Lizzie had been begging me to buy this dumb bear for Gabrielle for at least a month. I kept explaining to her that Daddy and I DO NOT provide them birthday gifts, but in the end I gave in.Lizzie and Alaina got carseats for the first, and so far only, birthday gifts. Ellie got a giant teddy bear. Her sisters can't get enough of this bear. Ellie is terrified of it. She wouldn't get near the thing and wouldn't go to sleep until I removed it from her room.Andrew's response when he saw the bear was something like "Why did you buy this? We do NOT need this."

5 comments:

Megan said...

oh that bear is so obnoxiously big, lol! Too funny that Ellie is terrified of it!

Wendi said...

Oh my-that bear is much bigger than I expected. And funny that the birthday girl is scared. I think Lizzie had ulterior motives:)

Ali Snow said...

That's a great last picture. Is that bear from Costco? I saw those and thought they were cute but had no idea where I would put it because it's SO big.

Dave and Emily said...

I can't believe she's already a yr old and I haven't even seen her yet! I'm excited to see you guys at the family reunion.

Jessica said...

I can't believe that cutie cutes is already one! She's so sweet. I'm with Drew on the bear--that is a lot of teddy going on.

Contributors