Monday, October 8, 2012

Friday Field Trips

I feel like the little girls and I have a pretty full schedule during the week.  We have something every day but Friday.  Well, actually we have something Friday morning but it ends early enough for us to get out and do something before I need to pick Liz up from school.  My plan is to do field trips every Friday.  For our first one we went to the National Zoo.
As always we visited the prairie dog play area.  It was the first time Ellie willingly crawled into the tunnels and played so it was pretty cool to see her be a little more brave.  During our visit she also spent some time hugging and kisses the coyote picture because she thought it was a "ruff ruff."
It was my first time visiting the new American Trail section and the Amazonia building--we liked them both.  Ellie especially liked playing the tidal pools.
The next week I took the girls to the National Book Festival on the Mall.  Technically it wasn't a Friday field trip since it took place on a Saturday, but I figured it was close enough.  It was our first time going and I really enjoyed it.  Definitely on my 2013 to do list.
 
Wells Fargo was passing out free stuff horses.  That was pretty much the highlight for the little girls.
Our next field trip was apple picking at Hollin Farms with Lainey's preschool class.  It as fun, but the place was crawling with stink bugs.  I pulled three out of my bra and swept two out of the van.  The best thing about Hollin Farms was that the trees were so short that the girls could do all their own picking.  All I had to do was carry the bags.
We went towards the end of the apple season so we had limited varities to choose from.  We went with Gold Rush (even though I don't particularly like green apples).  When we got home I canned some apple sauce and now I'm trying to get the girlies to eat up the rest.
 
Last week we went to Novak's Gymnastics in Dumfries for our field trip.  It was open play time and the kids loved it. If anyone in the area wants to go, it's $5 per kid, but your first visit is free. 
Next field trip: Oxon Hills Farm

No comments:

Contributors