Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Naptime Interrupted

The other day, about an hour into what should have been a long afternoon nap, I heard Alaina running around upstairs. I went upstairs where I was not surprised to see the shut doors and pile of treasures on my bed that are both sure indicators that Lainey's been up and about. I found her in Ellie's crib. I didn't even know she could climb into the crib.Alaina had piled books and blankets in there and was showing Ellie the joys of jumping in your bed. When she saw me she smiled and said, "I wake Ellie up!" She recently learned to climb over the guard gate at the bottom of the stairs as well. It used to be that she would have to stand by the gate crying and waiting for someone to come get her. Now she has a whole new level of self-sufficiency. The first night she figured out the gate she came down to the basement about three times.A couple of those times she was in the company of her cousin, Willa. My brother's family visited last weekend and we tried to have the four oldest cousins sleep in the same room. They were giggly and excited, but Liz and Iris managed to fall asleep. They also managed to stay asleep during Willa and Lainey's loud exchanges.When my SIL, Codi, went to quiet them down the last time she found Alaina singing loudly and Willa loudly telling her to be quiet! Needless to say, Codi separated them, and after a few tears they finally fell asleep.In other news: Alaina has recently been giving me gross things. You know how your kid reaches out to give you something and you just take it without thinking? Well, lately when I thought Alaina was trying to hang me some lint or a piece of hair (because so far she hasn't been willing to just drop those to the ground herself), she was actually handing me a booger or a "boo boo" (a.k.a. picked scab). Gross. Today's exchange:

Me: Alaina, what is this? What did you give me?


Lainey: My booger.


Me: You gave me your booger?!


Lainey: Yes. I take my booger out me nose and I give it to you!

No comments:

Contributors