Friday, June 3, 2011

Beating the Heat

Tuesday night I took the girls to a family night at the Silver Diner (too hot to eat at home). I love family night. Aside from eating a relatively cheap sit-down dinner, the girls enjoyed the services of a face painter and a balloon artist. They also got to decorate, and take home, collapsible binoculars. Alaina thought the balloon artist was absolutely hilarious.
Liz got a dragon on her face, and later, a dolphin on her arm during a lull in the line.
True to form, Laines copied her sister getting a snake on one arm and a dolphin on the other.
The girls and I went to dinner with my friend Wendi and her kids. Later that evening I took the kids to the Maney's house to sleep in their cool basement (our house was still registering in the mid-eighties). Andrew slept at home.

The next day, Wednesday afternoon, Liz had a playdate with Jordan. We lingered in the air-conditioned library for a while then headed home around 5 p.m. to wait for the repairman. It was 83 degrees when we got there and 85 when the the repairman finally showed up about 7:20 p.m. (delayed by traffic, naturally).
To beat the heat I let the girls eat icecream sandwiches outside, then made them stay in the slightly cooler basement. I had to linger upstairs (cleaning cause I couldn't sit still) because I couldn't hear doorbell in the basement.
When Drew got home he dealt with the babies and the repairman while Lizzie and I went on a mommy-daughter date to Borders. We drank hot chocolate and read our library books. I found myself frequently gazing at Liz, marveling over how bright and beautiful and delightful, and just generally wonderful she is. I'm so happy to have her.

No comments:

Contributors