Sunday, June 26, 2011

Things I love about our new place

Our BLINDS. We had them installed nearly a month ago and I love 'em. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about fussy curtains and whatnot. Now all I have to worry about is the kids destroying the blinds. Lainey has already tried to decorate them (with stickers of course). The BASEMENT. I love that I can send the kids (and their messes and noise) a level or two away from me. Naptime is so much easier. Post-bedtime tube-time is so much easier. Sidenote: Ellie's way into baby dolls lately. So cute.Andrew's IN-WALL SPEAKERS. I didn't quite understand Drew's vision until it was completed, but now that he's done I like it (and I'm super impressed that he did such a fabulous job). It was a lot work (for Drew and his friend, Dan), but it was worth it. New FURNITURE! For years we've been saying that we wouldn't buy a bedroom set until we lived somewhere that we intend to stay longer. Finally we are there and we love our new bedroom set. It was delivered on our 12th anniversary and since we didn't have time to do anything else to celebrate we considered the bedroom set celebration enough.My OWN ENTRANCE & PARKING SLAB. After living so long in apartment buildings, I love having my own personal entrance, my own front steps to sit on, and my own parking spots so close to my front door. No more carrying the kids across the parking lot and into the building (unlocking and locking two sets of doors on the way), setting them up in front of the t.v., and making them promise not to leave the apartment while I ferry in the groceries (again, unlocking and locking the two doors with every trip). Also, now the kids can actually look out the window and watch for Daddy to come home.After-meal DANCE TIME. At our old place it seemed like we could hear every step from the people upstairs and I'm pretty sure the people downstairs felt the same way about us (judging from how often they banged on the ceiling). We always tried to keep the kids quite and less mobile. Now that we don't have to worry about all that we've been able to make use of my Ipod Touch and Pandora (which I love!). In the picture below the girls are selecting costumes before dancing (but usually we are costumeless). I have enjoyed exposing the girls to various types of music, lately we've been listing to Adele radio. We've also done Jackson 5, No Doubt, Letters to Cleo, Beatles, Blu Cantrell, Neil Diamond, Prince, Black-Eyed Peas, Disney, Sesame Street, and of course, on Sundays, MoTab.Friendly NEIGHBOORS. There are a few families with kids on the street that we have naturally gravitated to, but we have also been able to get to know some of the other couples thanks to monthly Friday night get-togethers. We all bring our camp chairs out and sit at the end of the street visiting, while the kids play around us.Lainey's finally big enough for her trike. Drew bought it for her as a big-sister gift when Ellie was born, but she couldn't reach the pedals until a year later. Now we just need to get a bike for Liz.There are lots of other things I like about our new place (mostly because we finally have them): our washer and dryer, third and fourth bedrooms, masterbath, and deck.

4 comments:

jaya said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.

Big Sister Gifts

Jessica said...

I love all of those things for YOU TOO.

DC Diva said...

Oh Jill this post could be written by me! Those are all the things I LOVE (and have hated not having until now) about our townhouse! Big difference=you guys own! So fantastic.

One thing you have I don't: those fantastic Friday neighborhood nights! That looks so great! I want that!

Shaunda said...

I love those in-wall speakers too! You're hubby is pretty amazing for having the patience to take on such an intricate task. I bet your visitors would be impressed of your hubby's work. Kudos to him!

Shaunda Devins

Contributors