Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Jamestown Field Trip

Last Wednesday Lizzie and her 4th grade class went on a field trip to Jamestown.  It was the culmination of a lot of work on the part of a parental fundraising committee.  We raised thousands of dollars which meant none of the children had to pay a penny and we could provide matching shirts for all of them (which were rarely visible since it was a cold, drizzly day and the kids all wore jackets).  I helped fundraise (my main contributions were working an election day bake sale and spending four hours ironing decals onto t-shirts) so I got first dibs on a chaperone spot which of course I snatched up.  Then, a week before the big event I worried that as a preggo I would be too hot and tired to keep up the kiddos so I asked Drew to go in my place.  He wasn't excited about the neon green shirt that he had to wear.  Also, he assumed he and Lizzie could drive themselves down instead of riding in a noisey bus with all the students and faculty, but he soldiered on.  Andrew reported that the kids really seemed to enjoy themselves, that they were attentive to the tour guides, and asked lots of good questions.  So, it was definitely worth all the effort and sacrifices (and the committee is already thinking ahead to next year's field trip).
 

No comments:

Contributors