Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Playtime

These last couple weeks I've been trying to be better about actually playing with Liz instead of just carting her off to playdates, parks, and other activities. Those are important, but I realized we weren't spending much time just the two of us. So, here are some of the things we have been doing at home:

Dress ups. We had to put on "pretty things" and use the goopy makeup encased in one of Lizzie's rings.Dyed rice. We also made a "seek and find" jar filled with our rainbow rice and random bobbles.
Paper doll chain. I love the way Lizzie does lips lately and of course all the ladies have lashes.
Painted with bleach. We tried two different bleach pens first, but they didn't really work. What worked was a cup of bleach and a couple paint brushes.
Excavated treasures. I froze them into an ice block. Liz cried when she saw a couple ponies in there, but once they were freed she really enjoyed herself. We used salt, hot water, a hammer, and a toothbrush to excavate.
Made piles of cloud pictures using a cotton ball to stamp and then paint in folded paper (like ink blot tests).
Painted with salt water. The water evaporated in a warm oven leaving behind our our salty drawings (and writing).
Built structures and creatures with marshmallows and toothpicks. Liz actually did this almost entirely on her own while I took a "lunch break" in my room.
I have some other ideas for the coming weeks, but I also welcome suggestions.

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Great ideas! You are an awesome mom. I think we all have moments when we panic and realize that we aren't actually spending time with our children--just taking them from place to place.

Julie Broadbent said...

Wow! these are great. But I can't believe you gave a 5 year old a cup of bleach. Did any of it end up on clothes or carpet? Or am I just paranoid?

How about Alphabet Collage? cut out images from a magazine that start with certain letters?

Jill said...

Some bleach ended up on both of our clothes when Lizzie tried a splatter paint technique. It was interesting to see what color they turned though.

pennylutz said...

I love the frozen toys idea! We're going to try that too.

Ryann said...

Those are really great! WEll done to you! I'm going to go do the marshmellows now!

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Fun.

THE GREEN MandMS said...

These are awesome ideas. We will have to remember these.

Ali Snow said...

Very great ideas! I'm so impressed. Did you do those all in one day?

Candice said...

Wow Jill! Way to go. What a lucky little girl to have such a creative mom. I've got to try some of those!

Chanda said...

Loved all your ideas. I'm definitely going to try some.

AW said...

Don't tell Adrienne all the fun you've had with Lizzie... I'll be in BIG trouble... I'm not much fun these days!

Jones said...

So impressed! I haven't done anything that creative or fun with Liam...

rachael said...

Well I feel like a terrible mom after reading your post or atleast like a boring mom. The most Caleb and I do creative is draw pictures, or cook. I think I'm going to do the "treasure hunt in an ice block" with him. He'd love that. What do you do with the baby while your making these great projects?

Sarah said...

Jill...these are seriously awesome ideas! Ethan would love these things. Thanks for posting! How are you guys? I heard about the potential swap campout. All for it!

Contributors