Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Day

Ahhh, the Big Day.

Santa left a book for each of the girls on their bed. It kept Liz busy for at least 20 minutes, but Alaina wasn't into hers so when she woke up, we all had to get up.Before Liz opened her presents I made her brush her hair and make her bed and wait for Drew to get the sweet rolls in the oven. Once we started unwrapping things I felt like we took our time. Only one person at a time opened gifts and we stopped to examine things. Still we were done eating and opening by 8 a.m. Darn kids waking up so early. My mother often had to wake us up. I can remember her grumbling about how she was "the only mother in the world who has to wake her children up Christmas morning!"Because we were done so early, I actually had time to take a nap before we went to our friend's place at 10:30 a.m. While I slept Drew and Liz played with their new toys (Drew=Lego Batman Wii game, Liz=My Little Pony).
Other favorite gifts:

Drew=Wii Zapper, Dominion Rootbeer, synthetic top
Jill=White House Christmas ornaments, camera (to replace the one I kind of ruined by trying to take some pictures on a windy sand dune)

Lizzie=everything (even the batteries--"my very own batteries!"), nearly every time she opened a gift she exclaimed "My dream came true!" We also heard, "Santa must be very rich!" and, when trying to remove lots of small toy pieces from an overly-taped package, "Those elves did a really good job!"

Alaina=baby treats, shopping cart

And of course Drew and I loved Lizzie's handmade gift. So cute.
We continued my parent's tradition of using wrapping paper with Santas on it for the Santa gifts. I was also very careful to make sure that I did not use the same labels on my gifts that I used on the Santa ones. Drew wasn't so careful. He even used some of the mommy-daddy paper to wrap a Santa gift and had Santa give me things that Liz helped him buy just three days before. Liz never even noticed.
We spent the bulk of our day with our friends, the Pomeroys. The dads took the big girls to see a princess movie while the moms made a non-traditional holiday lunch (barbecue ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, rolls, mac 'n cheese).
Liz and Taryn played very well together for a very long time. It was lovely.And we all played (and enjoyed) Beatles Rocks Band.

1 comment:

Michelle Earnest said...

So you also married a "man-boy"? :) Ben got the wii lego Indiana Jones (we also have the batman)and played it for most of the day as well. Lizzy's video is really cute. Kids make Christmas morning so much better.

Contributors