Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dead Battery

Today started out pretty good. The girls and I hit a couple Smithsonian museums. Great displays, but it was crazy busy (on a school holiday, go figure). Things took an unpleasant turn when we tried to leave the city and our car wouldn't start. Turns out I had a dead battery and it was totally my fault because I had forgotten some basic car mechanics or as Drew said, I was "acting dumb." He was pretty willing to walk to the van (many blocks in the biting cold) for moral support, but when I told him the circumstances of the dead battery he became increasingly upset (Liz was watching a movie on a portable DVD player and I decided to turn on the car to save the battery but I only turned on the battery thereby making it worse).

Anyway, I joined AAA. They came (an hour later than they said they would). They jumped us and tomorrow I plan to buy my very own set of jumper cables.
The above shot is of the girls happily freed from the van and awaiting their dinner of fruity crepes. Yum. At least we ended the day well.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

If you go to AutoZone, they sell a jump starter that you can keep in your van; all you have to do is charge it first. Then, you don't have to worry about whether someone else is around to jump you; you can just take care of it & be on your way. This was a LIFESAVER for us in my old car, before we discovered a couple of problems that were constantly draining the battery!

Contributors