Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Eve

This was our first year celebrating Christmas alone with our kids (we have spent one other Christmas alone pre-parenthood). I was a little bummed about it initially, but it turned out really fun and it was nice to start doing some of our own traditions. Plus, Liz was super excited about her first Christmas in her own home.

On Christmas Eve we:

Visited the Botanical Gardens' holiday display. Loved it. Aside from the seasonal stuff, Liz liked the hands on room. Lainey really liked the trains.Went bowling. We had so much fun honoring my sister-in-law, Codi's Christmas Eve tradition last year, we decided to go by ourselves again this year.
Alaina slept through the first game, sat sweetly through the second, and spent the entire third game trying to join us on deck. Attended a Holiday Party (unfortunately I did not realize I had my camera with me until we were leaving). Also: notice Lizzie's nails. We did that earlier in the day. I painted hers and she painted mine (and then I fixed them).
Opened Christmas pajamas - a tradition from both our families that we are happy to continue. Then we talked about the nativity and read some scriptures. Next year I'm hoping we can start acting it out. Stuffed the stockings and placed all the previously wrapped presents (thank goodness) under the tree. The stockings are new this year. When we shopping for them I wanted fancy, glitzy ones (coordinating of course). Drew kept picking out plaid ones and didn't see the need for coordination. Since we couldn't agree we opted for $1.00 ones (thank you World Market) and another year to decide. Really, we will probably use this set for many years to come.
After I put everything under the tree I felt like maybe it wasn't enough, but Andrew reminded me that I just wasn't used to having presents for only four people under one tree--what with growing up in a family of six kids and always visiting with relatives for the holidays. The next morning I saw that the girls had more than enough presents. . . .

1 comment:

Ward Family said...

LOVE your $1 stockings. Ours were $1.99 from Target. Can't beat a great deal! Cute PJ's for the girls too!

Contributors