Monday, April 5, 2010

OBX Easter

Our first Easter in the Outer Banks was in 2007.Our second Easter in the Outer Banks was yesterday. It's funny that we have gone to the OBX four times in the nearly nine years we have lived here, but three of those times have been within the last year.
Last weekend we enjoyed lots of time playing in the sand on the beach and flying our kite.
As usual Alaina loved playing in the sand (so different from Liz at the same age).
She also spent a lot time (most of her time actually) wandering around the beach giving people handfuls of sand. Sometimes she also distributed seashells (and occasionally licked them).
My brother-in-law's neighbors came to the beach as well and Alaina was completely smitten with their oldest son.
It was Lizzie's first Easter with extended family. Along with playing in the sand, we did some traditional Easter activities. We decorated sugar cookies.
We had both an egg and a scavenger hunt. Lizzie grudgingly agreed to use the new fabric basket I made her for the egg hunt. I made one (with lots of help from my mom) for Liz, Laines, and our potential new baby girl. They weren't hard, but for me, who rarely uses a sewing machine, it felt like a huge feat. Liz took one look at them and said, "I like the ones at the store better."
I had already purchased most of the basket stuffers weeks ago, but due to a miscommunication with Drew at least half of the stuff didn't make it to the beach. So, we were at the grocery store with all the other shmoes late Saturday night. It ended well though.
Pretty much all Alaina cared about were the sweet potato puffs in her eggs. After she shared a few with Drew he asked Liz if she had any jelly beans in her basket for him. Nope, only Barbie fruit snacks. He looked at me like, "what the?" and I informed him that this year I figured the bunny should only leave Liz treats that she actually likes (instead of including treats that he and I like as in years past). Incidently, when Drew was slow to get up Sunday morning Lizzie said enticingly, "Come on Daddy, I bet I have some chocolate in my basket that I won't want to eat."
Ahhh, the beach. I miss it already.
Oh, and here's proof that I was on the trip too:

3 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun! We were just watching our home video of our Easter in OBX with you guys. So fun. And as I was looking at your pictures I said to Corey, "That looks like Nate Allred." Oh, wait...it is. Funny that they went. :) Great people.

Chanda said...

I LOVE your handmade baskets. So cute.

ivyjeanne said...

What a FUN Easter weekend! And those baskets are ADORABLE -- nice work!

Contributors