Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Amnio

I survived the amniocentesis yesterday and unfortunately it did not send me into labor (the main "risk") like I had hoped. Now I have to wait to hear the actual results sometime today. When the doctor looked at the syringe of amniotic fluid she guessed that it was "borderline." Apparently clear fluid means the lungs are not ready, cloudy means they are. I'm still hopeful that we'll be induced sometime in the next few days, but I suppose we can survive another week.

The amnio itself was less scary and painful than I thought it would be. The doc gave me a lidocaine shot in my belly to numb my skin. It burned, but not for long. There was nothing she could do for the cramping pain when the needle entered my uterus, but it was bearable. I'm not sure how long the needle was or what it looked like on the monitor because I had my eyes squeezed shut.

2 comments:

Codi said...

I would have squeezed my eyes shut too! Whether I was watching it or having it done to me.

Jones said...

Just the thought makes me cringe. You are a brave woman!

Contributors