Monday, April 11, 2011

Alaina Update

At two and a half years old Lainey is just as exuberant and entertaining as ever. She understands the concepts of colors, numbers, and letters though she can't acturately identify them yet (counting 1-2-7-5-19 or insisting that her blue shirt is actually yellow). She does pretty well with shapes. She's really excited about helicopters and they are pretty much the only thing she builds with her duplos.Flying helicopter (complete with sound effects):
Alaina's become a bit sassy. She sticks out her tongue now just to be cheeky. Recently she literally scooped up Ellie and then purposely dropped her on the ground. Drew scolded her and she stuck her tongue out at him. When, in frustration, he used his hand to push it back in she laughed and said, "That funny. You funny Daddy." So much for the reprimand making an impression. Within minutes she tried to pull Gabrielle off the couch by her ankles. When Drew stopped her and started to explain why such a move was unsafe, Alaina stuck her fingers in her ears and said, "nanna boo boo, I can't hear you." Andrew and I were so surprised that we laughed. Alaina still likes to draw on herself. She did this a couple weeks ago while I was fixing dinner. Lizzie was doing her homework and both girls were so quiet that I was mentally congratulating myself on how well things were going. Then Alaina asked if I wanted to see her drawing. When I said yes she proudly pulled up her sleeves to reveal her hard work (her legs looked the same).


Laines still uses her binki (upside down of course). It's a little embarrassing that she's still hooked on this and I keep meaning to wean her of it but obviously I haven't bothered. Something else I haven't bother to do with Alaina: toilet train.
She loves to cut paper and mush playdough. She collects rocks wherever we go. Today ended up transporting three for her. Lainey wants to copy Lizzie all the time. The other night Liz ate her dinner with chopsticks which meant Lainey had to do the same (which meant that she really ate her maceroni and cheese with her hands). She also insists that her teeth are loose (like Liz).
Alaina is playful and delightful and usually in a good mood though she often wakes up grumpy (as in, inconsolable crying for an hour). She likes to sleep with her green blanket still, but as far as comfort objects she varies from her teddy bear to a random toy, book, or object (like her precious rocks).
She's speaking pretty well--well enough to say prayers, well enough to argue with her sister. She still says funny things though like "oopy" instead of "oopsie."
Lainers is a "good eater." She's willing to try all sorts of new food, food that surprises me. The other day she ate salt & vinegar chips with her daddy. Ugh. She doesn't get it from me.
Still dancing and singing all the time.

3 comments:

tecwhitram said...

Hi Jill! I have been trying to reach you about using Lizzie at the upcoming photography workshop. Could you please email me with your number so we can talk? Thanks!!

Jessica said...

I love her! She's so fun and cute and expressive.

Wendi said...

Man, I love that little girl. (well, I love all your girls) She ooozes personality!!! Did Andrew tell you the day I had her when you were moving, she chowed down on pretzel sticks dipped in french onion dip? She loved it! And after Liz never writing on anything when Jordan wrote on everything, I have to chuckle to see that she writes all over herself. It's only fair that you have one that does that too!!

Contributors