Friday, April 1, 2011

Overwhelmed

I can't believe how much crap we had. I can't believe we squeezed all of this into our tiny condo (quite frankly it feels like too much for the townhome so we are actively purging). I can't believe I actually thought that I could move and unpack all in the same weekend. I'm beginning to realize that this is more like a month-long project. Saturday - Moving took way longer than I thought it would, though about what Drew estimated (which was probably more accurate because he was the one who schlepped everything over to the storage unit in the first place). Aside from the movers, our buddy Dan helped with the heavy lifting. Also, I managed to drop my phone from the top of our wooden stairs. As I saw it bounce down the steps, disassembling itself along the way, I thought: crap, Drew's going to be really annoyed (he was).Sunday - I made it to church with Liz. Drew stayed home with the little girls to pack and to attend to Alaina who vomited three times! Our first night in our new home was a cold one because the gas wasn't turned on yet. We lit a fire in the fireplace and bundled up together in the basement. Monday - Even though he didn't want to, Drew took the day off. We sorted out the gas situation and finally finished moving out of the rental apartment. Andrew set up the girl's bunkbed. The little girls wore the same pajamas they had worn all day (then all night) the day before. I bought a washer and dryer without Drew. I was in and out within 15 minutes which is so uncharacteristic of me. I usually have a really hard time pulling the trigger on big ticket items. In the evening Andrew and I ordered our pre-selected bedroom and living room sets. Tuesday - I started unpacking. I thought I could at least unload all the boxes that day. I was very wrong. Part of the reason it's such a daunting task is that we did such a poor job of packing. By the end we were in such a hurry that we weren't even labeling boxes. This has proven especially problematic when it came to locating the hardware for our table, desk, bed, and crib. In one box I found Andrew's circular saw, some random tools, a few pieces of tuperware, a couple kids books, and an armful of kid's clothes. Arranging everything is going to be a very long project. Wednesday - Our washer and dryer arrived! Hurray! I haven't used them yet but I love them already. More unpacking, more purging. Andrew used the stove for the first time (mac 'n cheese--we're so fancy) and we ate on tablecloth spread out in the dining area. Andrew and I stayed up till 3:30 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. respectively unpacking.




Thursday - Cable installed (yeah! legal internet!). I discovered when I attempted to put something in the outside trash cans that the previous owner left them completely full (and smelly). Lame. It reminded me that I need to set up trash removal services really soon (like, it should have been done before we moved in). We gave up on locating the hardware for the table and decided to just buy new stuff. It took two trips to Home Depot to get the right sizes, and then while Andrew was securing the third table leg I noticed that all the original table hardware was neatly tucked in a plastic bag and taped to the underside of the table. We felt pretty dopey, but we had a good laugh.

6 comments:

Ryann said...

I'm loving the pictures of the house-can't wait to see it in person! By then, you''ll probably be all moved in as well:)

Julie Broadbent said...

I'm so excited for you! YEAH!

Jones said...

I'm excited for you guys! Where is the townhouse? And the move...sounds like a classic family moving experience :)

vozzek69 said...

Moving ALWAYS takes longer than you think it will! The trick is to get as many family members as possible, and to lure them over with bagels in the morning and pizza in the afternoon. :)

Best of luck with the rest of your move.
wall decals.

DC Diva said...

Oh Jill! Let us HELP YOU! Seriously... you DO have family around, you know. What can we do???

My mom taught me to tape hardware to furniture in plastic baggies. It is a genius concept... when you remember you did it.

We STILL (7 mo) have yet to find our crib extension piece (the part that makes it into a toddler bed). We don't need it (and probably never will) but still... so weird that something that big is just missing.

Jessica said...

Jamie and I were just talking last night that we have never moved with kids! That must make it a lot more crazy--at least you got movers! I can't wait to see your place! It looks amazing.

Contributors