Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Third Birthday

Lainey's third birthday was last Saturday (she turned three on the third) so we celebrated with her first official friend party (as opposed to her party last year where we invited one friend and the friend's whole family).

It was bug themed so of course we provided antenna. We had bug shakers so we could "jitter bug." I plastic eggs filled with lentils for the shakers (super glued shut of course). I used googly eyes and permanent marker to make them look like bugs--the effect was just so-so. Plus they weren't very durable. My kids managed to break a couple post-party and I stepped on one . . . So, next time we'll do our shakers differently. Our party favors were bug catching kits
(the same ones my girls enjoyed playing with last summer).Since our party-goers were "little bugs" we provided them a flower garden to eat in (made from tissue pom poms and crepe paper) and . . . Also, flowers to eat. For the record, cutting out those flowers took way too long and I wish I had planned ahead and actually bought cupcake liners or at least made chocolate (dirt-colored) cake. Instead I made funfetti cake and then had to cut out cupcake liners.Really the girls seemed more excited about the lollipops than the cupcakes, but they still ate them. Well, they ate the frosted tops anyway.Alaina wanted to dress up like a lady bug for the party so I raced out the day before and got her a costume. I also got a bee costume so she could have options. I figured she picked on and I'd return the other. Well, she was absolutely certain she wanted the bee one and didn't decide on the lady bug until after I removed the bee's tags. Clearly, she'll be a bug for Halloween. I want Andrew to be a flower so he'll be on-theme, but so far he won't agree.For activities the girls crawled around in a borrowed tunnel (like ants) and jumped in a borrowed bounce house (like bugs that jump). After that we headed down to the basement to dance (because Lainey LOVES to dance). Of course as soon as the kids saw the books and toys they went right to them and it was just Lainey dancing by herself in the middle of the room (which she didn't mind at all).Next, the kids decorated butterfly pictures with stickers and crayons (we did the same thing at Lizzie's butterfly-themed second birthday party).While the kids colored, Lizzie and I prepped their lunch.We served flower-shaped pb 'n j sandwiches and veggie straws (cuz they kind of look like grass).They also got a "ladybug" on their plate (strawberry with mini chocolate chips stuck in).Then presents, then cupcakes.Ellie napped through the entire party, waking up just in time for lunch.In the late afternoon I took Liz out to get a back-to-school haircut, but at the last minute I changed my mind and took her to the Melting Pot instead for some cheese and chocolate. Yum. Still haven't go around to that haircut though.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What a clever party with so many thoughtful details! Well done. Fun melting pot date with Lizzie!

Julie Broadbent said...

Wow, will you please come out here and throw a birthday party for one of my boys next year. Because I think I have been terribly deficient in that department the last 5 years. That is an awesome party.

Sarah said...

You did such a good job putting this together. I love the lady bug strawberries! Very cute.

Contributors