Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Bowling

I intended to do a summer bowling league (with the free kids summer bowling passes). I wanted to do something similar to what I did with my roommates, and a somewhat changeable cast of guys, my sophomore year of college. We'd meet Fridays at 5, bowl and the high score would take home the trophy (a DI find) for the week. It should be noted that my apartment only had the trophy once. Usually my FHE brothers had it. Anyway, so far it hasn't really panned out this summer. It's been just too hard to find a time of day that works with naps and camps and classes and day trips and pool time, not to mention family vacations. Still, we did manage to go once and the girls LOVED it so we'll definitely try and go again (maybe even some cosmic bowling). Of course, the free game of bowling did not include shoes and I was surprised to find that shoe rental costs more than a game ($4.50 compared to $4).Lainey's feet were too small for the shoes so she just stuck with her Robeez. The bowling staff suggested that I just buy some cheap tennis shoes with non-marking soles for Liz to wear next time so I can avoid paying for her shoe rental as well. Hmmm, maybe. At the last minute I decided to bowl with the girls, but I was only wearing sandals that day so I had to go sockless in my bowling shoes. I still cringe when I think about it. Speaking of bowling shoes I remember one week, back in college, my roommate, Rachael, and I were able to talk the bowling attendant into letting us keep a pair of bowling shoes overnight. We went out dancing in them. Not exactly sure why it was so appealing to us. I suppose we just wanted to see if we could and the fact that the attendant said no for at least one week leading up to it made it all the more appealing. Ellie had a rough time at the bowling alley. She was very determined to crawl down the lane, I suppose she wanted the pins. It seemed like I spent most of my time either physically pulling her away from the lanes or trying to distract her in some way, both of which were no fun (for either of us).After the first game Lainey's interest in the hand dryer equalled her her interest in rolling balls. Sadly, even with bumpers I didn't break 100. My scores usually hover somewhere in the double digits but I have broken 100. The first time was my sophomore year of college and I was so excited that I saved the scorecard (they were handwritten back then kids).

No comments:

Contributors