Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer so far

About the time school let out the girls and I wrote our summer "to do" list. Last night Liz and I reviewed it to see how we're doing. So far we've checked off a lot:

Beach trips. We did a day at Sandy Point and a week at Myrtle Beach (more on that later). As for day trips, I'm still hoping we can make the trek to Longwood Gardens. Pottery class. Liz loves, loves, loves this. She took a pottery class last summer and I imagine we'll do it again next year. It's just tricky to figure out what to do with the little girls during Lizzie's two hours of clay-time. Also classwise we're still hoping to do some gymnastics and/or soccer in August.

Swim lessons. We did two weeks worth. It was fun, but as with summers past by the end of the second week I was glad to be done with the daily pool trips. Side note: Lizzie was excited to wear her first two-piece bathing suite (that she remembers anyway). Movies. One day Alaina enjoyed a movie date with her friend, Meg, in the morning and a movie date with her sisters in the afternoon. Ellie didn't too well at the cinema. She was fidgety and loud (not crying so much as yelling/singing/babbling and what have you). She also didn't want to stay in my lap. Mid-way through the show I took Elle out for a lobby break and bought myself some popcorn. Back in theater I only ate a few bites before Gabrielle knocked the whole bag out of my hand. She spent the rest of the movie trying to get down and eat my popcorn off the floor. Summer reading programs. After Liz finished the Barnes and Nobel and the Borders ones, she and I enjoyed a mother-daughter hot chocolate date when we turned them in. All the girls did the library reading program. It's a lucky thing that Gabrielle has a coupon book because Liz lost hers within an hour of receiving it. John Marshall library also has an adult reading program. I've got about two books to go to finish it.The kids have enjoyed lots of play time with friends, still I'm surprised by how many friends we haven't managed to visit with. It feels like the days fill up and go by very quickly.On our little street there are four families with kids and two of them own motorized jeeps. I'm really hoping our kids don't start asking for one of their own.Lee Rec sprinkler park. While there Lainey slipped and hit her head so I decided we wouldn't go back till we got water shoes (haven't gotten around to that yet). Also at Lee Rec, we saw the Pietasters perform at one of the Wednesday night concerts. It was super hot, but people danced anyway. And by people, I mean grown-ups and kids (and my fam). At first only children were dancing on the side stage (as with most of the Lee Rec Wednesday night concerts), but by the end of the night there were more adults on stage than kids. Still on the summer concert agenda: performances on the capital steps and the Millennium stage.Pirates Cove water park. We had so much fun that I bought enough passes for us to go back two more times this summer (our visits are still pending). We also plan to visit a few other water parks (Great Waves, Water Mine, Atlantis).Vacation Bible School. I love me some VBS. We did one the first week of summer and Liz started another one this morning.


Other fun things still on our summer to do list (among other things): ice skating, make jam, pajama day, camp out in the basement together, visit a museum, buy ice cream from the ice cream truck, go camping, go on a hike or nature walk, visit zoo, visit cousins, game night, bubblepalooza, pedicures, make a craft.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Super fun summer so far!

Contributors