Friday, August 20, 2010

Moving Out

Although we had many happy memories at our condo (below, the girls are dancing to the music of Gabby's baby toy) we felt like we long ago outgrew it. We've been talking for years about selling or renting it. Last month I finally listed it consistently and found someone (he seems nice--fingers crossed). So, when we got back from California we had exactly one week to pack up and move out. We hadn't decided where we were going so we just rented a storage unit. I packed boxes during the day and Drew moved them in the evening (and the way early morning). I purchased a set of Costco boxes before I wised up (thanks Sharon) and started collecting free ones from Craigslist people. They had such exotic labels as "basement" and "laundry room." Ahhh, someday.
It took a lot of work but eventually we went from this:
To this (see how happy Drew is to finally move out):
The girls "helped" us a little bit. The most difficult one was Alaina, who was always under foot. She regularly pulled stuff out of boxes that I was trying to pack, got into things that she would have ordinarily been out of her reach, and sometimes endangered herself and others. One day she hollered "nook, nook" (look) and pointed at her open mouth (a regular thing when she eats now). Resting on her tongue was a nickle undoubtedly dropped on the floor during the all the chaos. Another day, as I moved a box from the girls room to the front door, she raced after me and happily beckoned me back. Back in her room she proudly pointed to the baby and I saw that Laina had laid a dishtowel over Gabby's face.
While we packed the girls mostly played or watched t.v. The whole you-have-to-do-your-workbook-to-earn-t.v.-time rule just went out the window. One day while we were packing up our bedroom Liz helped herself to the remaining contents of the kitchen and prepared a picnic for us. She served up toast covered in powdered sugar, a ice cube tray full of jello, and a concoction of melted ice cream, hot chocolate powder, and water. Yum. Another day she and Lainey set up box houses in the den (our box staging area). When we finally land somewhere I hope to make a proper box house for them (maybe even a village).
Aside from what was going in storage, we also packed our own short-term storage to get us through the next couple months (possibly). Andrew filled the trunk of the car with his stuff and below is what I planned to load in the van. Drew said it wouldn't fit, even with one of the captain chairs removed. Turns out he was right.
I can't it. I can't believe we're out. I can't believe we filled that storage unit. I can't believe Andrew moved it all on his own (except for our couch and mattress top). He couldn't believe what I saved and would have preferred to purchase all new cleaning products, food, toiletries, and laundry baskets (among other things).

3 comments:

DC Diva said...

Ugh! We're about to do this. I wish I was on your end: the "done" end. Where are you going? Where are you living for the next few... months? Really?

Since we've just been thru the whole craigslist thing (we're actually still IN the process) I'm really curious to see your ad. Is there a way you can send it to me?

Sarah said...

I feel your pain lady! We are there right now getting ready to fill our storage unit. And we are on our way to NC. You won't be that far away will you?

Carrie said...

I'm impressed that you and Andrew moved all your stuff by yourselves. Moving is such hard work. We put most of our stuff in a storage unit when we built our house and I couldn't believe how much stuff we had. Good luck with the future prospects on housing/job. I hope for the best for your family.

Contributors