Saturday, April 5, 2008

Friday Night Out

Last night Andrew went out with a friend from high school that he hasn't seen in about five years. I found a last-minute babysitter so I could join them, but Drew politely told me that he would prefer a guys night. So, Lizzie and I went out for dinner and shoe shopping (really we went to buy someone a baby gift, but I got distracted). While we were eating, Liz found a couple pennies on the floor under our table. I told her she could take them home and put them in her piggie bank, but she said, "They're not mine. I didn't drop them--someone else did." I tried to explain found-money etiquette--basically, keep coins, not paper--but she didn't seem to get it. It's amazing how black-and-white and rule-bound children's thinking is. She is totally in the tattle tale stage. As we walked into the restaurant, Lizzie pointed to a passing car and said "That car was naughty. It didn't stop at the stop sign."

Shoe shopping was fun, but I tired of it quickly. Lizzie kept bringing me additional shoes to try on and she wanted to measure my foot often. She said "All your shoes are getting old Mommy. You need to buy lots of new shoes." She seemed to enjoy herself, saying "I'm a shopper" and "I like shopping." Nice. It reminded me of when she was a toddler and used to pull clothes of the rack, hold them up to herself, and say, "This is soooo cute" before discarding them. Once she even did it with frilly lingerie. Clearly I took her to the mall too much in those early days. While we were out last night I managed to find a few pairs of shoes for myself before I became too ornery and tired to continue at the store. As we were getting in the car I was being a bit impatient and snappy with Liz. Finally she said, "Mommy if you keep talking like that you're going to need to take a time out." Indeed.
The above picture is not from our night out (it's from Chucky Cheese), but I like posts with pictures so here it is.

No comments:

Contributors