Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Counting and Time Out

Last night I babysat my friend's two kids. At one point I told the little boy, Cooper, to get a book to look at in bed. He went to get his book , but was soon distracted so I said, "Cooper, get a book. I'll give you five seconds."

Liz turned to her friend, Adrienne, and explained, "That's what my Mom does with me."

Then she turned to me and said, "Now you have count Mommy."

I'm surprised counting works so well with Lizzie. She has started back talking and otherwise sassing us. Usually when I tell her to go to time out she shouts, "No!" But, she's sitting on her bed by the time I count to five.

It reminds me of when we first started time outs. She was about two. Andrew told her what it was and then set her on the couch. We went into the kitchen and peeking out and her and whispering to each other things like: "I can't believe she's staying there. I can't believe this is working. This is awesome."

One time we put her in time out at a restaurant because she was too unruly. She was instantly quiet and still. It was our only two minutes of peace so I suggested that keep her in time out for the entire meal (Andrew wouldn't agree).

3 comments:

Candice said...

Liz is amazing! Our kids bawl their heads off in time out!

Did you get my email about your babysitting co-op? I might have the wrong address...are you still using yahoo?

Jill said...

Oh she bawls--or screams or chants stuff like "I am right, Mommy is wrong, I am right, Mommy is wrong"--but she goes to time out and some days that that feels like enough.

Justin and Crystal said...

Hey! Are you guys still wanting to get together over Christmas break? We'll be here and Justin has a few days off.

Contributors