Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Cheer

I feel like I've been running around like crazy these last couple weeks, but I have had some fun times like Drew's Christmas party (even though it was a subdued affair at the Barns at Wolf Trapp instead of the usual "Deloitte Prom" at the Ronald Reagan building), making and delivering treats to friends, and the following:

Dance class parent's day. It was SO loud.
I can't believe Alaina slept through it (well, most of it anyway).Tacky Christmas sweater party - I went to two Salvation Army stores and couldn't find any sweaters, but I scored an embroidered denim shirt that went really well with my mother's holiday button covers. Love it.
Temple Visitor's Center - We love the lights. Liz loves the live nativity (Drew doesn't understand what all the fuss is about). We also saw a Ukrainian Christmas performance. The costumes were amazing (so elaborate!) and hearing the heavy Ukrainian accent left Drew and I feeling so nostalgic for our time abroad.
Gingerbread train - Drew and Liz had a lot of fun putting this together this afternoon while I took some personal time. Liz was so proud of her work.
National Tree - Liz loved the trains, especially the trolleys. I loved that Drew was willing to drive around DC with a crying baby while Lizzie and I made our annual pilgrimage. I love seeing the tree each year--Drew, not so much. According to him it looks pretty much the same every year. According to me, it's a tradition. According to Drew, traditions should be fun in addition to being something you do on a regular basis.
After the tree we saw the nearby Santa. It was awesome. There was pretty much no line because they were about to close up shop, but they let us in. It was super warm and we got a free picture.
Baby time - An attempt to get a smiling photo of Alaina. Almost . . .
And there it goes.

Other things to do in the next two days: my blog award list, finish sending cards and delivering treats, pack, see the nativities at the National Cathedral, buy Drew's Christmas gifts, toys for tots donation, and teacher gifts. Totally doable. Probably, at least.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, you sure made tacky look HOT! It sounds like your 'traditions' conversation with Drew would go exactly like a conversation Jamie and I would have. I love traditions and think they should be sustained and encouraged, even in cold weather or with fussy babies!

Jill said...

Jessica, I completely agree which is why I forced my family to see the cherry blossoms in the rain, on a race day (unfortunate planning) last spring. Even if it is miserable in the moment, the memory is amusing.

Codi said...

The denim Christmas shirt is much more horrid than any sweater could ever be. It is hilarious.
I love Lizzie's little tap shoes. Too cute.

Sarah said...

What a fun idea wearing tacky Christmas sweaters. You guys looked great!

Contributors