Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We decked our halls

This year I decorated for Christmas on Friday, November 7th. A little early, but I was super excited.
Andrew's sister Carrie made us this advent calendar last year. Love it!
My nativity sets (I like to collect them from other countries).
Lizzie's nativity sets (and other special holiday playthings).Liz hung most of the ornaments on our tree this year (which is why it's a little bottom-heavy). The skirt is actually a table cloth. We've used it for nine years now. I'm hoping to replace it soon. The books are part of a Christmas tradition. I wrap all our Christmas-related books, and all month we open one a night for story time.
Some of my favorite ornaments:
My sister-in-law, Cindy, gave this ornament to us last year to help remember baby Jacob. I love it.
Liz made these in preschool last year. I used to think I didn't want any ornaments made by children on my perfectly matched tree. This year I let up and I'm so glad I did.
I picked this up hand-painted egg ornament in Salzburg. The day trip to Austria was part of my week-long study abroad in Germany. So fun. I didn't think I'd get a chance to do this in grad school. I'm so glad I did.
The poinsettia is one of a discounted bunch I bought January 1999. Andrew and I were unofficially engaged and I enjoyed anticipating our upcoming holidays together. The following December Andrew and I decorated simple glass balls (as seen in the picture) for our first Christmas.We bought this little hat from a youth in Lesotho who helped us brake into our rental car (Andrew locked our keys in it). It reminds me not only of that crazy moment, but of the whole fun trip.
Lizzie's handmade ornament. For some reason it was important to her to leave the tag on.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Jill,
I'm getting caught up on your blog. What a great idea to take pictures of your decorations. You have such a great way of presenting everything. My tree ornaments are mostly kid ones but it is so meaningful to them as they decorate the tree and remember the ornaments.

Contributors