Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Institute

I have to teach institute this Thursday. I am not really looking forward to it because I do not like public speaking, but there is usually a pretty good discussion so I'm counting on that to save me.

For this course class members are expected to take turns teaching the lesson. We have to pick a talk or two by a modern GA and teach/discuss it.

It will probably come as no surprise that I have been thinking a lot lately about grief and mourning and hope. I tried to find a talk that encompasses these themes. I picked "Sunday Will Come" by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. If any one out there has any ideas or tips related to this I welcome them.

Talking about grief and mourning may not seem to go well with the Christmas season, but the facts are:

1) That's what I'm interested in right now.

2) A lot people struggle more during the holidays because of loss.

3) The hope that Christ brings is what gets us through difficult times.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I think it is a good idea for you to discuss grief, mourning, and ultimately the peace from the atonement that can relieve such heart ache. You'll do a great job!

Brooke said...

If you're teaching, maybe I'll make more of an effort to come! I recently found a link on grief that resonated with me: http://bryanandellie.blogspot.com/2008/08/sadness-is-underrated-bryan.html

Bonnie said...

You did such a great job and I love that talk as well.

Candice said...

How'd it go? I'm sure you are a great teacher!

Contributors