Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 2

This morning my friend/VT took Liz to church for me. Thank you Carrie.

While Liz was gone I suctioned, wiped, slathered, changed, monitored, held, and tried to feed her little sister.

After church Lizzie went to Wendi's (again) and I went to the ER. This wasn't absolutely necessary, but Alaina's breathing had worsened and eating decreased and I was nervous, so off we went.

I have only been to an ER for myself once and I came off an ambulance so I got a straight shot to a room.

This was my first time taking my child. I geared up for a long wait in a dreary room, but really it wasn't too bad. I liked the Pediatric ER and really, I wish we could have spent the night there.
Nice docs and nurses, cheery atmosphere, Pedialyte samples, televisions pumping cartoons to each triage bed, less wait time than I expected, and a tiny little hospital gown for Alaina.

I thought it was silly to put babies in hospital gowns until Alaina vomited and I had something to catch it with. Lainey fell asleep in her second gown so we got to keep it as little souvenir.

I felt kind of silly going to the ER in the first place and I worried that the staff would make it clear that they felt the same, but that wasn't the case. Everyone was super nice and I felt better so in the end it was worth the trip.

At home I called my HT, Bryan, and asked him to give Alaina and I blessings. He was here with another guy in a jiff and post-blessing I feel a lot of comfort (that will hopefully translate into sleep).

At the end of the day I'm thankful for: friends, family, medical advances, the Priesthood and worthy, accessible Priesthood holders.

I told Drew I would post pictures of the girls, but I can't figure out how to get them off this old digital camera I'm using now, so no shots of the wee one in her hospital gown, but here are some pictures from last week's dress ups. It was a happier, healthier time that I expect to experience again real soon.

3 comments:

Chanda said...

Ugh, Jill, I'm sorry. You'll believe me when I say "I feel your pain," right? I hope Alaina gets better FAST. I've got a house of sick kids too, but not too bad.

Dan and Sharon said...

Sound like no fun. We are off to the doctors ourselves. Meg has super diarrhea. Hope your week goes better.

Jessica said...

Jill! How stressful! I hate that you are alone dealing with a sick baby. I think you did the right thing going to the hospital--you acted on your instincts. Yes, cutest patient ever! She looked so cute in her little gown. Stinking RSV!

Contributors