Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bittersweet

Mother's Day. Always bittersweet. And I know I'm not the only one.

Lots of people struggle with this holiday. There are so many possible complications for people: issues with a mother, loss of a mother, inability to become a mother, guilt about performance as a mother. . . . so many.

We found out about my mother-in-law's cancer diagnosis mother's day weekend. I was pregnant with Elizabeth at the time so it was a time of extremes--so happy about the baby, so sad about the cancer.

I had another weekend like that when I was expecting Jacob.

Jacob. I thought of him on Sunday. I was so happy to have my girls, but also so sad that he was not with us.

Things get so complicated as you get older.

My friend, Sheila, wrote a wonderful post on the difficulties of this day: When Mother's Day Sucks. It really resonated with me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should note, however, that Andrew and Liz were very sweet this past weekend. Drew made me breakfast (french toast with homemade blackberry topping), changed 5 of Lainey's 6 messy diapers on Sunday, and promised to deep clean the closets with me (even though I know he's dreading this).

Liz gave me some cute child-crafted cards and gifts and went to an adorable mother's day tea party at Sharon's home on Saturday. We made wrapping paper bonnets. Liz loved hers so much that she wore it to church the next day.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Do you remember the talk that Ruth Pagan gave on Mother's Day WAY back when? IT was one of the best I have ever heard b/c she discussed how difficult this day is for so many women--I think we need to recognize the difficulty and the wonder of this day but I'm not sure how to do that properly.

Contributors