Friday, September 11, 2009

A whole lotta OBX pictures

We enjoyed a week of relaxation at the beach the end of August. It was wonderful and I kept thinking, "this time last year I was on bed rest and worried out of my mind." August 2009 was so much nicer. My favorite thing about the big fat house we stayed in was the overabundance of porches.
The beach was a short walk from our accommodations.
Our first idyllic evening on the beach.
Later that evening I wrote Jake's name in the sand and watched it wash away. There is a lady in Australia that does this for bereaved parents and sends them a picture. I figured I'd just do it myself.
At the OBX we enjoyed lots of beach time.
Lizzie's first beach moment hit a snag when she tripped while running from the waves and fell in the water. She initially said that she didn't want to ever go to the beach again, but . . .
she got over that real quick.
Alaina loved the beach too. She even loved the sand whereas at the same age Liz freaked out about touching sand, straw, and grass.
The first day we set up a tent for Lainey with a pile of toys, but she immediately scooted out and dug in the sand.
One day Laines took her nap on the beach. The gunk on her face is baby powder which helps get the sand off. I just didn't rub it off enough before she fell asleep.
Aside from playing in the sand, while in North Carolina we also:

Visited the Wright Brothers Memorial.
Liz got her face painted. She looks upset, but really she is just trying really hard to not smile so her unicorn doesn't crack.
Played in the pool. Oh, and the hot tub was nice too.
Flew kites. I hadn't done this since I was a kid. So fun.
Made music.
The trip was fantastic. The other six families in the house were fun (there were about six little girls for Liz to play with which helped). The food was delicious. The weather was ideal. It was lovely. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK.
SOME RELATED VIDEOS:


Note: the really beautiful pictures on this post were taken by Emily or Katie.

5 comments:

Codi said...

Oh it looks like you had such a great time, and it is all so beautiful there.

Wendi said...

makes me remember how much fun we had last year. I really want to go next year. Love the pics of you and lizzie side by side-she looks so grown up with her hair more down. So cute.

Ryann said...

looks like you all had a great time. Too bad we didn't think of doing that while we lived there!

Sarah said...

Oh, I miss the beach. And of course seeing you guys at the beach always brings me back to our trip. Glad you had fun. Looked like lots of fun!

Jessica said...

I want a beach trip! Looks like you had a blast. My cousin and his wife lost their baby only two days after he was born and they just posted on their blog that the same woman in Australia wrote Maxwell's name in the sand. I know it meant a lot to them.

Contributors