Friday, August 19, 2011

Mommy's Day off (at Longwood Gardens)

Last Saturday I took a day off. It was nice.I went to Longwood Gardens in PA all by myself which meant that I had time for all sorts of self indulgences. I listened to a book on CD during my drive and spent time reading a different novel at the gardens.It rained a few times while I was there and instead of racing my children (and their gear) to shelter I walked leisurely to a nearby building, enjoying a little rain on my face. Though, that said, the last storm was pretty much a deluge and I drove home literally soaked through to my underwear and when I decided to stop at an outlet mall I found that the AC was too chilling for my still-damp clothing.I lingered at the water lily exhibit.The water platters were my favorite.I spent time just sitting, listening, meditating, and generally being still which is something that didn't interest me much before the chaos of children.I listened to part of an organ performance and all of a carillion concert.I didn't set foot in the treehouses or children's garden.I enjoyed an array of natural sounds and smells.I took pictures.I worked on my lists (and anyone who knows me knows how much I love working on those).I enjoyed a long, lingering lunch where I got to eat my food while it was still hot and finish everything off with a tangy lemon tart.I visited all the fountains, something I had yet to do before. I found I enjoyed listening to the water falling even more than seeing it. I also looked through the small grounds house/museum for the first time.At times I even thought of my family, like when I saw the following tree that seemed to full of fuzzy pipe cleaners. When I thought of my family I mostly thought of how nice it would be to come back with just Andrew.I arrived home about the same time as Drew and the girls (they had gone out to dinner) so I was able to witness the bedtime routine. While Andrew was changing Lainey's diaper, he cried out "Ugh! Alaina, that's the second time today you've farted on me while I was wiping your butt." Lainey giggled and started singing, "I poo poo pop on you while you change my diaper . . . " Andrew looked at me and said, "We need to toilet train her."In all it was a lovely day and I can't wait to go back to Longwood by myself, with a friend, with my family. . . .

2 comments:

Wendi said...

FAB pics Jill. Makes me want to get my camera fixed asap, cause I wanna go next time!!!!!

Jessica said...

Oh Jill! What a wonderful day for you! If I were to take a day all to myself I would absolutely head to Longwood and embrace the stillness of solitude. You have inspired me! Beautiful photos too.

Contributors