Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Elizabeth's Baptism & Confirmation

Lizzie was baptised by her father on Saturday, October 8th at the Mt Vernon Stake Center.She really wanted to wear a dress. For a few days I harbored some delusions about my ability to make one for her. Then, I found one at the online Distribution center (phew). I figure all three girls can wear it. I was a little surprised when Liz took a size large. Those dresses must run small because Lizzie doesn't wear size large in anything. I love those braids. Lizzie usually never lets me braid her hair because she hates the way it looks when she unbraids it.Liz was really excited that her good friend Jordan was baptised the same day. So cute.Darin & Jordan Maney, Andrew & Lizzie Nielson. I thought Andrew's flip flops looked kind of cute/funny. I'm just not used to seeing him in flip flops and a tie, especially in the chapel (though church shoes would have looked very weird). During the first meeting Andrew said the opening prayer and my mother gave a fabulous talk on baptism. Then, the kids were sent back to the baptismal font in shifts. We were in the first group (3 of the 5). The stake leader joked that the kids were having a "pioneer baptism" because the water heater wasn't working. Poor Liz had to be dunked twice because her foot popped up too soon (Uncle Scott & Papa where her witnesses). After the baptism we adjourned to another room for a talk on confirmation and the confirmations themselves.I was so excited and proud and am still amazed that I have an eight-year-old daughter. Alaina was also pretty excited. I was impressed at how well she behaved during the various meetings.We were very grateful that Nana and Papa made the trek from Texas for Lizzie's baptism, especially since my mother has just had back surgery less than a week before. She was still sore from her surgery and had to wear an uncomfortable brace. To make things worse she realized Friday night, after taking a pain pill (makes her groggy), that she had left her carry-on bag with her talk at the airport.Scott and his family drove in from Pennsylvania for the weekend and we really appreciated their company and support (below: brother Scott and my father).We had a full house with my parents sleeping in the spare bedroom in the basement, Scott's fam in the girls room, and Lizzie and Lainey in our bed, but we were so glad to have the company and so grateful that we finally live somewhere that can accomodate houseguests (below: SIL Codi).Lizzie and Jordan seemed to have a really nice time on their big day.We were also grateful for the local friend that showed up to support us. Lizzie is pictured below with Jordan and their friend, Karly, from school (picture borrowed from Wendi's blog).

No comments:

Contributors