Wednesday, December 29, 2010

More Christmas Eve

Before we put the girls to bed we sang Christmas Hymns (you can imagine how fabulous I sounded with my raspy, squeaky sick-person voice) and Liz and I told the Christmas story using her paper creche.
I took a "before shot" of our stockings and pre-Santa present pile and then forgot to take an "after" one. The stockings are laying on the ground because Lizzie had already put some candy in them for each of us making them too heavy for my painters tape to hold up.
A couple weeks ago Liz got Drew to "pinkie promise" that she and Lainey could sleep in our bed Christmas Eve, but a day or two before the big night she amended her request to sleeping on the futon in the front room. I agreed because I wanted my bed to be kid-free, but by the end of the night they were all in our bed anyway.
Alaina quickly became afraid and I had to lay down with her. I told Drew to set an alarm for 20 minutes later just in case we both fell asleep. He set one and he slept through it. For my part, I drifted off to sleep while trying to think of plausible stories to tell Lizzie just in case we all fell asleep through morning.
I woke up sometime around midnight and raced to our bedroom to wake up Drew (he had taken some NightQuil so it took a couple tries). Luckily I had wrapped the presents days before. We quickly stuffed stockings and slapped on labels. Then I snuck the piles past the girls while Drew rocked Ellie and left the required bites in Lizzie's cookies.
Note to self: never again let the kiddos sleep within arms reach of the stockings and designated Santa delivery spot. When I had one load left to bring out Lainey woke up and started crying. Fortunately I was able to shush her before she woke Lizzie.

No comments:

Contributors