Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A week's worth of holiday activities

Day 9/Thursday - We finished off the day with tortilla snowflakes. Yum. Day 10/Friday - The girls painted a big reindeer (yes, my artistic abilities are limited). Later on I hope to play "pin-the-nose-on-Rudolph" with it. It was a bit messy and I did have to scrub some paint out of the carpet, but it sure was fun and I think it was a great use of an old cardboard box.Day 11/Saturday - This day was crazy busy. Lizzie had nativity play practice in the morning then she went straight to a marathon birthday party that included swimming and ice skating. I think it was scheduled to last about 4.5 hours. Crazy. While she was gone the little girls and I did some Christmas shopping and some Christmas returning, made food for the party that evening, and I designated an official spot for our gifts. Lizzie was an angel in the play at the ward party that night. It was so cute. The two things that I was most excited about in our new ward were the huge parking lot and the nativity play and both have completely lived up to my expectations.
The Angelic Choir: The audience:
Gabrielle is wearing the holiday pajamas I wore for my first Christmas (made by my mother).
Day 12/Sunday - After church I took the the girls over to our community clubhouse to decorate cookies and gingerbread houses. We were the only people there for the last half hour of the last day of activities so the workers sent us home with all the excess fruit trays, blank cookies, and decorations. The next day, much to Lizzie's chagrin, I returned the gingerbread kit I had already purchased for the girls. They also sent us home with reindeer headbands. Lainey calls them her "Halloween" and wants to wear them constantly.
In the evening we went to a stake musical fireside where we happened to run into my sis-in-law from PA (happy surprise) and Lizzie's art teacher from school. We showed up early to drop off cookies (and get decent seats). I brought reindeer coloring pages to keep the girls busy during the performances. Unfortunately they had pretty much colored them all by the time the show started.
Day 13/Monday - We pretty much put a hold on most of our holiday activities so we could focus on Drew's birthday but I did manage to wrap up Mike's gift.
Day 14/Tuesday - Yesterday afternoon I took Liz to the local dollar store to pick out presents for her sisters and her upcoming white elephant gift exchange. At home we did some holiday crafts while we waited for daddy to come home and take over. To be honest, we did more crafts than I originally intended.
First, Lizzie made a house for her paper reindeer out of an old grape container she found in our recycling pile.
Next we made Santa faces with cotton ball beards. I painted "holiday nails" for Lizzie, Lainey, and myself. I wanted the girls to stay at the table while their nail polish dried so I started them on another simple craft: they painted drawings of snowmen and Santa (just his beard) with shaving cream. Then, Liz asked if they could play with the shaving cream on a cookie sheet (apparently she still remembers the other time I let her do this). Andrew was home already and he was NOT happy about it, but he let them anyway (though he didn't bathe them after, just wiped the shaving cream out of their hair with a washcloth) .
The girls loved "playing with snow indoors."
I kind of loved that I got to just walk away . . .
from all the mess and . . .
go to my friend's annual ugly sweater party and leave Drew to deal with the kids.
Day 15/Wednesday - Today I finally mailed my first round of gifts to out-of-towners. Below is picture Lizzie drew of Uncle Mike to put in his present.
After school today I plan to finish up our gift for Drew's sister and then race to the post office to mail it. Then, I'll race home and park the girls in front of the t.v. so I can finish the gift for my parents. The pathetic thing is that I started all my homemade gifts in August and am just now finishing them up. Argh.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Holy cow, Jill...you make me so tired!!

Chanda said...

Jill, I love all your activities. We're in PA, needing stuff to do, I'm gonna steal some of your ideas. You all look great.

Contributors