Sunday, January 11, 2009

Home a week

Well, I've been home a week now. The house is almost in order and all the unpleasant, sundry tasks that awaited (and surprised) me upon my return are slowly getting done: broken garbage disposal, leaky tub, unwanted couch, bills, returned Christmas cards (no help for them now), holiday decorations, laundry, and thank you cards that I could have sworn I mailed.

It has been nice to be back in my own space and visit with friends, but I miss the lazy holiday weeks, lounging with family, playing games and watching the girls play.

Some of my favorite moments from those carefree days:

A visit to Andrew's childhood friend (and my buddy from the Jerusalem Center), Justin Arbuckle. We had lost touch these last few years and it was really nice to reconnect. Lizzie especially liked meeting Justin's daughter, Hailey, and was very upset that we couldn't visit her again the next day.
Time with Scott's family. I have especially enjoyed getting to know Codi better these last few years. I also loved the card game she taught us. It was called golf and even Liz could play. Everyone loved it immediately. We played daily and have even played a few times since we came home.

Time with our children. Drew and I enjoyed our usual SC date: we wandered through furniture stores and picked out our future bedroom and living room sets, then went to a movie. This time we also picked up next year's Halloween costumes for the girls at Gymboree. It was probably the first time we shopped for kids clothes together (at least in my memory).

Time with my parents for myself and my children.
Scott and his snakes. He couldn't leave them unattended in Indiana so he brought all six in a Rubbermaid bin. I loved seeing little Iris happily carrying a boa around. It was also amusing to see Codi leap from the couch when Scott set a writhing pile of snakes near us.

Cousin time. I'm so glad Lizzie loves Iris. I really enjoyed all my time with my cousins over the years and I hope Liz is able to cultivate similar relationships. For the most part the girls got along well, but there were some squabbles like the time they argued over whether they wear "clothes" or "clothing."
Napping. We took loads of naps and slept in while Scott or my Mom attended to Liz. I really miss that now.
Hearing Scott refer to child safety gates as "puppy gates" because that's what he first used them for (even though he's had two kids since then).

Purging. Cleaning out the attic was so satisfying that after Scott and Codi left, I helped my mom go through her kitchen.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Clicking the 'next blog' several times on Blogger, I hit your blog. Twice. (I admit, I could have stopped the first time to check things out, but instead I hit 'next blog' again. How heartless, I know!)
Anyway, I spent some time here, and my heart was touched by the pictures of the babies... makes me miss those days all the more. Mine are teenagers... but they're good kids, so I don't wish they were anything else.
I hope the same for you and yours.
God bless,
Michelle
http://givingtree2009.blogspot.com/

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

Hi Jill,

I am not sure if I answered you question or not, but my dad has prostate cancer as well. He goes in for an MRI on January 29th, and then will have surgery in February. I am glad your dad is doing well.

Contributors