Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On This Day in History

I did not go downtown for the inauguration yesterday as I had originally intended. It was cold and I would have had to take both girls because Andrew was actually working at home--not "working" like I hoped.It was such an exciting, historic day--the kind of day that I will probably always remember what I was doing like 9/11 (on my way to a job interview) or when Princess Di died (leaving a U of U football game with the guy I dated right before Drew). Someday I will be telling my kids where I was and what I was doing when the first African American was sworn in as President.
Instead of going to the Mall I watched the event on television (loved the bright coats, loved our new super-poised Pres., loved the sea of people--Liz "Daddy, is that the whole world. It looks like the whole world."). Liz watched some of it too and I tried to impress upon her it's significance, telling her "Someday you will tell your children about this moment." Initially she was confused. She kept telling me "Barak Obama is dead. They shot him and he's dead, but before they did that he made it so everyone shares and they can go wherever they want and sit wherever they want on the bus." Apparently she got Obama and MLK confused.
Amidst it all I did laundry and dishes. I ran a bubble bath for Liz, but she said she didn't want bubbles. Flash to me with a mud mask and an ipod, luxuriously soaking in the tub. Then, more laundry. Straightening. Organizing. Picking up. Liz and Lainey lounging in a warm bath. While Alaina napped Liz and I walked to Panera for a late lunch (the pictures on this post are from our Panera outing). Then, more laundry and playing ponies. A last minute meal for the missionaries. Fed the family and then I was free.
For my night off I went to the Stake Family History Center where I embarrassed myself by asking the date. Apparently the Pres is ALWAYS sworn in on the 20th.

1 comment:

Chanda said...

Hey Jill. I loved the whole thing too. We were in Cape Town, sitting in our little rented cottage with the doors and windows open, the breeze blowing in, when we watched Obama become president. It was a very proud American moment.

Contributors