Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Flowers

Today I finally threw away the last of the potted plants I received after Jacob died. I took a couple pictures of it right before we went away for the Christmas holiday, just in case it was completely dead when I returned. It survived the holiday, but continued it's slow decline. Today it was no more than a short, dry twig.We received many flowers and potted plants after we lost our baby and I vowed to keep the potted ones alive at least until the first anniversary of Jacob's death. This is the only one that survived. It's not too surprising since I have trouble with plants in the best of times--watering them too much for several days and then completely forgetting them for weeks. With grief I let more things than mediocre plant-care slide.
I regret that I didn't take a picture of all the plants and flowers we were given, but again, I let things slide. Today to compensate for throwing away what I had come to think of as "Jacob's plant" I bought myself flowers. I bought them at Trader Joe's along with a basketful of organic fruits and vegetables to grind into Laina's baby food. The thought of baby food itself is comforting. I'm making baby food!

As I trimmed the stems and filled up vases I was reminded of other times I have received flowers:

Flowers from boys I liked - thrilling

Flowers from boys I didn't like - felt kind of guilty

The bouquets Andrew surprised me with when we were dating

The flower my brother, Scott, gave me for Valentines one year

Carnations for Mother's Day at church

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yeah you are making baby food. Jenice inspired me. I haven't started feeding Jonah yet, but we had some pears that were on the way out and we were leaving for the weekend. So I whipped those babies up and froze them. I am anxiously waiting when I can use them. :) I know, I'm such a nerd.

Contributors