Monday, March 23, 2009

I miss my microwave

It broke a couple weeks ago and I knew I was pretty dependent on it, I just didn't know how dependent until it was gone.

The first week I reheated and defrosted food on the stove and in the oven and it was such a pain. I kept thinking, this is what my parents and grandparents had to do all the time--I have been so spoiled. And then I thought, I miss my microwave (you never appreciate what you have until it's gone) . . .

The second week I remembered we have a hitherto unused toaster oven. It was a wedding gift and when I opened it I was like, "Who would give this to us? Nobody uses these anymore." The only toaster oven I remembered seeing before then was the one in the outdated kitchen of my Grandfather's cabin.

Anyway, I'm pretty grateful for the toaster oven now and I'm learning to use it, but it's no microwave. I still haven't quite figured out how to defrost stuff in it (or if that is one of it's intended functions) and I need to defrost all that previous frozen baby food purees.

On a more positive note: Alaina rolled over for me yesterday! She rolled over for Andrew a couple weeks ago.

6 comments:

Julie Broadbent said...

2 Weeks?! I wouldn't have made it 2 days. Good luck.

Dave and Emily said...

I completely understand what your going through Jill. When Em and I got married we went a couple weeks before buying a microwave and it was tough.

Lisa said...

I hated life when we were without our microwave...I feel for you! Good luck with the cooking!

Jessica said...

Our first apartment in Alexandria didn't have a microwave and that sucked. We use our toaster over ALL the time! I can't imagine not having one.

M & J Bowerbank said...

Two weeks that is a long time to live without a microwave. When we first got married we did not have a microwave in our apartment and I cried. It was so hard without it.

Rebecca said...

Yeah - I went without a microwave for about a month and just about DIED! Not easy!

Contributors