Monday, September 15, 2008

Paternity Leave is Almost Over

Tomorrow is Andrew's last day of paternity leave. It's been wonderful having him home and I'm really sad it's ending. He's been making Lizzie's lunches, getting her ready in the morning, and taking her to school, all while I sleep in a little bit. Wednesday is going to be a big adjustment.

Today he was gone most of the day--running errands, chaperoning a field trip to the public library for Lizzie's kindergarten class, and preparing and delivering a meal to a friend of ours--so I got a little idea of what it will be like without him here during the day. It was pretty boring. All I did was feed the baby, change the baby, and check to make sure she was still breathing. I didn't get much else done. Alaina's main accomplishment was losing most of what Lizzie referred to as her "apple core."In the above picture Liz is playing with shaving cream. I thought it was pretty contained. Andrew expressed frustration. Apparently he thinks I regularly let her begin messy activities and then do not "supervise" her. I thought he was overreacting until tonight. Just before bed I let Elizabeth use a permanent marker to draw pictures of herself and Lainey. She tried to be careful, but still managed to put marks on a book, her wall, and worst of all her nightstand (that I made myself in high school). I guess I learned my lesson.

Yesterday my cousin, Wendy, stopped by to drop off a delicious dinner. It's been about a year since we last saw her and her husband, Harley, so it was really nice to visit with them again. It was also the first time we saw their baby, Anderson in person. He is so cute! Unfortunately Lizzie wasn't as excited about meeting her second cousin as we were, and she did not want to take a picture with him:


Also today: Jacob's stillborn birth certificate arrived. Receiving it was bittersweet. I'm happy to have his existence officially acknowledged, but I'm still really sad about losing him. I did not expect Alaina's birth to overshadow my sadness, but I guess I expected it to alleviate more of the pain.

3 comments:

Fowler family said...

Jill, I am finally checking in on your blog (skipped on over from Chanda's) and I see you had your baby! Alaina is gorgeous! Congratulations to you guys!!!

Ali Snow said...

I'm happy someone from our family was able to visit you and show our support. And I love the picture of Lizzy with Anderson. Too funny.

M & J Bowerbank said...

Thanks for the wonderfull Dinner! I love Lizzys picture with the shaving cream, it looks pretty contained to me.

Contributors