Sunday, June 29, 2008

Things I hate about pregnancy

1 - Getting fat (and knowing that I may never lose all the weight because let's face it, I haven't loss all my weight from any pregnancy so far).

2 - Having inconsiderate people comment on how "big" (a.k.a. fat) I am. For some inexplicable reason people seem to think it's okay to comment on my size. I don't tell my friends, family, and acquaintances how big they look to me, I don't know why they feel compelled to tell me how big I look to them. Today I was making copies at church and the librarian looked at my stomach and asked when I was I due. September. "Wow, that's still a long way away, is it twins?" Nope. Still, looking at my stomach she says, "you're just so big already." Not cool.

3 - Along the same lines of people saying and doing inappropriate things, I don't like people touching my stomach. I don't know why they feel compelled to do so. I mean, I don't go up to other people and ask to touch their stomachs. And it's not like they are going to feel anything. About half the time the baby is kicking near the bottom of my belly which is too near the groin area for anyone to put their hand, so really they are just touching my big fat stomach. What's the appeal of that?

4 - Growing out of my clothes. It's depressing. So are the constant weigh-ins at the doctor's office. I really don't like the constant reminders that I'm swelling to absurd proportions.

5 - General physical discomfort. Aches, pains, light-headedness, the awkwardness of movement that used to be second nature, enough said.

6 - Sleeping on my side. I'm a back sleeper. I hate sleeping on my side. It is SO uncomfortable to me and I have 13 weeks to go.

7 - Frequent urination and on a related note, occasionally peeing when I cough or sneeze. Not fun.

8 - Unsolicited advice on a myriad of topics, including baby names. When I was pregnant with a boy last year a friend asked if we were going to circumcise. We were. I didn't mind her asking, but I didn't like the lecture I received on the evils of circumcision. I think baby name advice is more common. I don't mind telling people the names we like, what I don't like is getting a negative response. What ever happened to: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all? If you don't like a name, you don't have to pretend to like it, just don't say how much you dislike it or try to talk the parent out of using it. Ask something innocuous like: and what would the middle name be, is that a family name, or how did you decide on the name?

9 - Pregnancy and labor horror stories. Pregnancy is scary enough, why add to it by telling me about everything that went wrong when you or your mom or sister or friend or cousin or some random lady you met on the street was pregnant?

10 - The way time slows during the final trimester. I swear that's the longest part.

10 comments:

Ryann said...

I can tell that you are nearing the end. So I just commented about your belly-guess I won't do that again:) I always hated the weigh ins and growing out of clothes also. But I think with each pregnancy it is bound to happen. and just my two cents worth-you look fabulous! I think I started at your weight for my first baby so to me you will always look fantastic!

Dan and Sharon said...

Jill-
Maybe you should focus on the Positive. You are bring a spirit to this earth so she can fulfill her eternal progression. And who cares what you look like. Just eat healthy. The Lord loves you and just remember this is your spirits turn to be on this great place, earth to fulfill your eternal progression. Remember what the atonement is for. Bare your problems with the Almighty. He wants to help you get through your trials.

If you set you mind to it you can do it.

Love you -

Marilyn Barnes said...

I can remember having all of the same feelings that your are. Unfortunately I have made some of those same crazy comments to others. I hope you can weather all of the thoughtless comments. However, I think you look Radiant. P.S. sometimes the thoughtless older generation is just remembering our pregnancy and touching your belly helps us to connect with our past memories. Love you

rachael said...

You make me laugh!!! I know pregnancy is way too difficult and way too long!!! It's only been 3 months since I was "oh so big!!" and I can remember all the comments I got. Once, when I was with Jen this Japanesse lady asked me if I was having twins and Jen got irritated for me and said, "no, we americans just like big babies". It was awesome.

I'm not going to tell you that all is great because you already know that having a baby is a blessing, but it sucks when you're body is taken over by this little being. And you've been pregnant for a very LONG time!!!! It wasn't no time between these last two pregnancies. It's no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed and OVER IT!! Hang in there girl. The fun is yet to come.....everytime I look down at the wonderful skin flap that has become my belly I am reminded of the scacrifices us women endure...just once I wish Shawn could of been pregnant!!!

Keep your spirits up and just laugh. It's the only thing that will keep you sane.

AW said...

You make me laugh! I was just thinking how good you looked at church today and how I'm jealous that you've just grown a belly and not anything else! When I get pregnant I explode all over. I swear there must be a baby growing in each thigh and my bootie! Good times:)

Horsley5 said...

I love it! You are just saying what we pretty much all think - I get REALLY big, so I get the twins questions all the time. I think you look great. I just love that you too believe that it should be socially acceptable to vent while in the third trimester. My poor husband - he puts up with a lot! So go ahead and vent - I'm here for ya!

Wendi said...

You should write a second edition of Girlfriend's Guide to pregnancy!! Now I hope that I have not done any of the offensive things...most of which annoyed me as well!!

I sure love ya Jill, and you can vent to me ANYTIME until that little girl makes her presence known, then even after that!! Heck, I have vented enough to you over the last almost 5 years!!

Ward Family said...

Jill,
I love you! I am feeling the exact same way right now. I HATE sleeping on my side too (I am a belly sleeper). People either think I am huge, or they say they can't tell I am even pregnant (I feel like a whale so this comment really makes me feel great!) Anyway...just commiserating with ya! Aches and pains, stupid people, and all! Hang in there.
-Nici

Julie Broadbent said...

I agree with you on all counts! Being pregnant sucks. The other day a woman I work with pointed out that I am waddling now. Thanks, I know, and I can't help it! You try strapping a 30 lb. melon to your stomach and see how graceful you become. It reminded me of when someone pointed out my stretch marks to me during my last pregnancy. Grrrr

Rich and Luz Stearns said...

OMG Jill - I've touched your belly like every time I see you! It's just that you look SO dang cute... Seriously - all your baby is just right in front of you. Sorry.. I'll keep my hands to myself :( BUT I totally feel you about all the "BIG" comments I get them all the time at work and I'm so over it... JUST know this - YOU LOOK FABULOUS! Seriously! There are SO many women that would love to be in your shoes and they'd take all the "big" comments in exchange for the awesome pleasure that comes at the end. Don't be so hard on yourself friend - you look awesome! Forget those ignorant people that don't really know what a TWIN-size belly looks like. But - to be fair, now you should write a blog about the 10 things you LOVE about being pregnant! Love ya, Luz

Contributors