Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Love Sonograms!

I had my second official sonogram today (actually it was my sixth including the ones my docs did in their office). I LOVE SONOGRAMS. I love that the technology is available. I love finding out the sex. I love seeing the baby and the peace of mind that brings. I was nervous of course and as with all my baby-related appointments I barely slept last night.

When the technician first started the sono, the screen just looked like gray blurs to me so I focused on the tech's face to see if she frowned or widen her eyes or anything that could indicate she saw something wrong. I didn't detect any microexpressions and eventually the images started to make sense to me so I focused on them instead. It was pretty great.

The first thing I saw was a beating heart. Ah, relief. I also got see see her face and the tech confirmed that we are having a girl. As a parting gift she handed me a slew of face shots as well as one from between the legs which I could have done without. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Do I save it to show the kid when she grows up? I am certainly not going to scrapbook a photo of genitalia.

Later in the day I had a regular appointment with the nurse practitioner to ease my mind before we take off for Yellowstone tomorrow morning. As far as we can tell everything is okay with the baby and thanks to Sharon and Wendi for providing babysitting for my appointments.

To celebrate (and to ease the pain of getting fatter) I bought myself some maternity clothes that actually fit. I also bought a baby food processor at Buy Buy Baby. The cashier asked when I was due and when I said September. She said, "Oh, are you having twins?" As soon as I got out to the parking lot I called the manager and complained. I mean, come on! This is a baby specialty store. I huge proportion of the customers have got to be pregos. "What not to say to a huge hormonal pregnant woman" should be part of their basic customer training.

5 comments:

AW said...

I love that you called and complained! Hope you have fun in Yellowstone... ID is treating us well and we'll see you sometime in August! Amanda, Adrienne & Coop

Ryann said...

Good for you for calling! I bet it had to feel good to finally get back at everyone who makes rude comments to you!

And enjoy your vacation. You're still flying solo on the plane right-relax and enjoy!

Jessica said...

Why do people insist on 'size commentary' about pregnant women? I never got comments on my size as much as about how quickly I swelled up and how my nose decided to get pregnant too.

I'm so glad you had a wonderful sonogram experience! Yay for seeing the baby babe.

BTW--How stinking fun that you are going to Yellowstone! Lucky!

Rich and Luz Stearns said...

I don't understand how anyone can possibly think you're having twins! Seriously - there's NO way your cute compact tummy looks like it has more than one child. Why would anyone even say that even if they thought you were having twins? I'm so glad you call the manager - geez! That just made my blood boil!

flem-fam said...

What?!?!! They should learn day 1 of training not to say stupid stuff like that to pregnant ladies!!!

Contributors