Friday, July 11, 2008

Vomit and Mold

Well, it's mid afternoon and my day has basically consisted of cleaning up vomit, cuddling with Lizzie, and doing laundry. She got up again at 5 a.m. to go to the bathroom whereupon she puked (again). We had her sleeping in bed with us because she wasn't feeling well (maybe not the best idea since our bedding is all-white, but we were lucky) so Andrew was able to get her to the bathroom in time. Of course we had to bathe her and brush her teeth again.

I dropped Drew off at work downtown and when Liz and I were about 2/3 of the way home she threw up yet again. She was sitting right behind me so I couldn't see the damage till I got home. I just heard her retching and saying things like "I can't help it" and "All I can do is throw up." In hind sight we should have brought her little throw up bucket with us. Luckily I had pulled her hair back in a rubber band after her 5 a.m. bath so she didn't have hair hanging in her face to vomit on. This time I only had to hose off her body (and carseat).
Shortly after we got home the duct cleaners arrived. I had our ducts cleaned yesterday by what I'm pretty sure was a disreputable company. Luckily it didn't cost too much. They told me they saw mold in our air ducts and it would cost $800 to treat it. Naturally I panicked. I went straight to the internet and did google searches for "mold and miscarriage" and "mold and stillbirth" which left me feeling even more anxious. What if it was mold that killed Jacob? What if it kills this new baby? I called other mold removal companies to compare prices. After talking to the owner of what seemed like a much better company I concluded that the mold sighting was probably just a scare tactic (he said his company had cleaned thousands of ducts and only seen mold in a handful of them). Still, I had this new company come clean the ducts again today (for a fraction of $800). The technicians/cleaners were super nice. They checked out all the vents. No mold, just dirt. Ah, relief--worth every penny.
Now Liz and I are back to the endless laundry cycle. She hasn't vomited for about five hours, but she hasn't eaten much either. I have basically confined her to the couch to watch movies and color. I made her some simple chicken soup which I ended up eating (yum). Now we are waiting for our brownies to finish cooking. It's not exactly sick-person food, but I'm tired of sitting home, washing laundry, and doing dishes. I want to treat myself and brownies sound mighty good right now. I just hope Lizzie's stomach has settled enough for them.

6 comments:

Ryann said...

Last night when we went to dinner, the lady's son threw up in the car on the way to their house. Yuck!

So sorry that you are dealing with that. i hope that she is better now! Maybe just a 24 hour virus?

Speaking Jacob...how did the gest. diab. test go-did you pass? Everything well?

rachael said...

I'm sorry that Liz was sick, YUK!!It's so hard when your kids are sick, especially when you're pregnant!!! Thankfully, Andrew was there to help.

I am so glad that there is no mold in your house!!! I can't believe a company would lie about something so dangerous. Have you thought about contacting the Better Business Bureau about this issue??

Wendi said...

I feel so bad I didn't call you the second it entered my mind today. I thought to call, then one of my kiddies got me sidetracked-story of my life. Jordan wanted Lizzie to come play-not a good day, I guess.

Soo happy to hear about the mold-well lack of I guess. What a horrible company who told you that-but you are smart to have researched it and asked another company-I may have just paid to have it done. Glad to hear your mind is at ease!!

To make you feel better, we dished out $1200 on our car yesterday....made me sick to see the bill...now our $8000 car becomes a $9200 car!!! Darin says it is better than buying a new one.

Hope your weekend is better than today!! See you Tuesday:)

Jill said...

Hey ladies, to answer your questions: the diabetes test went well (or I assume it did because they haven't called me) and I will probably call and complain (if I still feel pissed off Monday).

Lea said...

I hope that Lizzie recovers quickly! If you need anything please let me know.

Rebecca said...

Hey Jill - MOLD SUCKS!!! I had to pay a huge amount to have it removed in my new house - and have the ducts all cleaned... I was worried about it from an asthma point of view more than anything...

You have to come see our new stomping grounds!

Contributors