Saturday, October 25, 2008

This time last year . . .

This time last year I was being induced to deliver Jacob's body.

It was an awful end to an awful day. I remember it in snippets:

I got up early and drank bucket loads of orange juice and apple cider, hoping to stimulate movement in my belly.

I grew inpatient with Lizzie when she complained while she was getting ready for school. I kept thinking, how can you be so difficult when your brother might be actual distress?

I chanted "move baby, move" in my head as I raced to the doctors office. I also started to plan the baby's funeral, then scolded myself for overreacting.

I though I heard a heartbeat in the doctors office and felt a flood of relief, then dread when I realized that the doctor is still searching.

The uninformed nurse that led me to the sono room tried to laugh and joke with me.

When the doctor told me "the news isn't good" I put my hand to my mouth and turned my head to the wall, too stunned to cry or speak or scream.

Andrew was waiting for my call, but it took nearly an hour to reach him because he was in a building with limited cell phone access. I called and texted him continuously, typing "baby gone. come home."

Andrew and I sat on the bed in shock. I apologized for whatever I may have done to kill our baby. He assured me that it wasn't my fault.

Andrew went back to work briefly to hand off a project, then we met at Lizzie's school.

I called my friend Rachael and she burst into tears at the news.

We were in the van when Drew told Lizzie. She dissolved into tears. I felt like apologizing to her.

We ate lunch at Macaroni Grill. My stomach was so still.

Ryann called, then came and picked up Lizzie for the weekend. I felt some relief.

My mother called and she heard it in my voice. When I said "hello," she said "what's wrong?"

We sent out an email announcement to family and friends. The condolence emails started coming in almost immediately.

We had hours till our scheduled induction. We considered going to a movie, but ended up watching TV and fielding sympathy calls.

Our bishop stopped by and gave us each a blessing. In mine he said I will have "many, many" children. We felt comforted by our blessings and even joked about "many, many" saying that it must refer to grandchildren.

We mapquested directions to the hospital (our tour was scheduled for the following weekend).

During the late night drive we picked a name.

In the hospital waiting room we observed a woman in obvious labor pain and felt sorry for her because she was alone.

11 comments:

Julie Broadbent said...

I'm in tears reading this. I remember being in shock when I heard the news and not know what to do to help you. Now I wish I had been able to get there quicker. You and Andrew are in out thoughts this week

DC Diva said...

I, too, remember where I was when I heard the news. I was shocked. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this tender, difficult time.

Chanda said...

Oh Jill . . . my heart goes out to you.

Wendi said...

I am like your sister-in tears as I read this. I don't know if I have heard all the things that happened that day, so it was interesting to read your account. I remember my heart just breaking for you...Hope hearing Andrew perform today helped ease your pain...the choirs sounded great:)
Thinking of you:)

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

We've been thinking about you this weekend. We love you.

Ryann said...

I read this yesterday and just didn't know what to say. Much like a year ago and this time I can't just swoop in and do something. But I do think it is a really really great thing that you are writing about this. As hard as it is, I know that it will good to always remember it. I love you guys!

Jessica said...

I remember that day extremely vividly and my heart broke for you and I felt horrible for not knowing what to say. Thank you for sharing the details, I think you'll be grateful to have them as the years go by. Love, love, love, YOU.

Lea said...

Jill- my prayers are with you and your family.

Rebecca said...

Jill - I remember that day very well. My heart broke for you. I am so glad that we are friends.

M & J Bowerbank said...

I just about started crying here at work as I read this. Our thoughts are with you.

rachael said...

You are so blessed by all these people that love you and cherish your friendship. You have a beautiful family to share your everyday with...and a little angel in heaven watching over you. You are truely blessed. And I am blessed you have you in my life.

Missing you everyday..

Contributors