Sunday, April 19, 2009

The celebration continued . . .

For my birthday I asked for a day trip. When Andrew hurt his leg, I thought the trip was off, but he insisted that he was up for it and surprised me with a day at Harper's Ferry. It was really fun and Andrew was a real trooper hobbling around on his crutches, resting on a bench while I went a walking tour, and holding Alaina while Liz and walked up to the church, Jefferson Rock, and a cemetry. Drew held sleeping Laina while Lizzie and explored uphill. I think he kinda looked like a beggar what with his hurt leg, babe in arms, and location just off the sidewalk.
There were several kids activites (thankfully). Liz got to paint (it's a raised railroad, but she decided to go to lunch instead of finishing the sky) and decorate a headband (for the wedding reenactment complete with cake and cider for us, the guests).
First picture: I told Andrew that since it was my birthday I wanted him to take a nice picture me meaning "take several shots until one turns out and doesn't look like this." I demonstrated the face and of course Andrew took a picture in that instant.
.
Second picture: Ah, me and my girls. My girls. I love saying that.
Liz was a real trooper. I couldn't believe how long she lasted and how much she walked. Sometimes she complained that she was tired and it was no fair that Lainey got to ride in the stroller and why couldn't she just sit in the stroller and hold Laina in her lap and blah, blah, blah. I couldn't believe she didn't fall asleep on the way home. Andrew and I certainly wanted to.
Liz still loves to hold Alaina, and Lainey is still pretty mellow about it (usually). I think her mouth is open because she wants to eat the camera.
For some reason Liz was crazy about stairs. Everytime we saw some she excitedly yelled, "Stairs!" and ran for them which is how we ended up hiking up to a cemetry when we only set out for a church (roughly half way to the hilltop graveyard where Liz asked to see Jesus' tombstone).
Alaina didn't nap--naturally--so she was super giddy and giggly. And of course she wanted to eat the camera.
I took this picture right after Liz and I walked across a bridge and down a flight of stairs (naturally Liz had to see where they led).
I decided to put Alaina in the umbrella stroller for the day. She's still a little small for it, but it worked. How Alaina spent her time: sleeping, playing with her feet or binki or an empty waterbottle, trying to eat the camera, or just chillin.


Other birthday fun:
Andrew made me breakfast in bed this morning. No easy task for a man on crutches.
.
Liz called me "the birthday girl" all weekend. Super cute.
.
We played a family, then parents-only Scrabble.
.
Other random info:
Drew drove himself to bell choir practice using his left foot. He made it there and back safely, but I'm hoping he doesn't try it too much.

4 comments:

Candice said...

Alaina makes me laugh out loud (yes, I prefer writing that out)! Does she only do that when the camera is out? Adorable!

Marilyn Barnes said...

I am so glad that you had a great Birthday. Lizzy did a great job decorating you cake.

Sarah said...

Wow, I've been out of it. I didn't even know that Andrew broke his leg. The girls look absolutely darling!

Carrie said...

My brother, the beggar. That picture really made me laugh. It sounds like you had a fun day. That is so cute that Alaina tries to eat the camera.

Contributors